Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do i need to nuke my hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 keystyles

keystyles

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

A few weeks ago I accidentally clicked on an add on a less than trustworthy site (was trying to click on a search bar and miss clicked). I received a prompt from "Win 7 security 2012" which i immediately recognized as a virus program. After some searching i found a mildly helpful guide and deleted the reg entries associated with this trojan. Problems stop and i thought all was well. After installing some windows updates I began receiving popups again so i decided i would sit down and dig out all of this program. I crashed the processes, deleted the reg entries, and thanks to spyware-doctor located the source file and deleted it. Thats when the real problem startedAs soon as i deleted the source code I lost the ability to open ANY application, .exe, or any other type of file. I'm not able to open regedit, or any other type of basic windows utility. Not even explorer will open, and i dont mean internet explorer, I mean explorer. How can i possibly fix this with out the ability to edit the registry or even open folders? I would prefer not to nuke my hard drive but i dont see how i have any other choice. Any advice?

Thanks,
Keys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keystyles

keystyles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

OK, so i have found a work around to open regedit. I was not capable of opening the command prompt via the start menu but i found this link that seems to be helpful. Basically you open task manager via CTRL-ALT-DEL, go to file, and hold down CTRL while clicking "New Task(Run...)", pretty simple. Now i need to locate and fix the problem which i assume is in the registry somewhere. If anyone has any ideas please let me know :)

#3 keystyles

keystyles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

Success! After about 5 min of scrolling through the registry i decided i was wasting my time since i wast going to find something that says PROBLEM HERE!!!-> Did a bit of googling and found this site. was a bit nervous about using the .reg file but didn't seem to have anything malicious in it so i merged it. worked perfectly. .exe files seem to work fine now, just need to do another scan to make sure i got all of the pieces of that virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users