Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I (Unmount?) a Hidden Drive Letter?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StevieG87

StevieG87

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:40 AM

Hi, I recently reformatted my computer and my external hard drive was assigned a different drive letter. I've been able to solve all the problems so far except for one small one. There are a couple files that a program needs to locate in the old drive letter. Since everything else on my external hard drive is now running from the new letter, I decided to "Shrink Volume" on one of my existing drives and do "New Simple Volume" with the unallocated space and give it that drive letter. This way my program can access the files it needs from that drive letter, and everything runs smoothly again.

However, when I go to assign the letter to it, it's unavailable. It's not showing up anywhere under Disk Management. I downloaded and used TweakUI, which shows that this drive is currently a CD-ROM type drive (Although I only have one CD drive and it's being used under a different drive letter). The only way I've been able to confirm its existence is in TweakUI. But is there any way to "Unmount" or "Unattach" that drive letter from the CD drive (which is apparently hidden and not in use)?

(I attached an image of the drive (L:) info. in TweakUI)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 StevieG87

StevieG87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:30 AM

Solved. It was just a virtual disc drive created by PowerISO. I just had to do 'Set Number of Drives' > 'Disable'.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for providing your self-resolution, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users