Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD with nv4_mini.sys issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mark889

Mark889

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

Hello everyone,
I'm going to try to keep this story as short as possible, but it won't be easy, lol. Right now my computer will attempt to load windows (XP Home version w/SP3) but right after the splash screen I get a blue screen error then the computer will reboot and attempt to restart. The blue screen message states: (short version of message)

Problem seems to be casued by: nv4_mini.sys
Driver_Unloaded_Without_Cancelling_Pending_Operations
Technical Info
***STOP: 0x000000CE (0xB7C2E6E0, 0x00000000, 0xB7C2E6E0, 0x00000000)
nv4_mini.sys

I had googled this issue and tried 2 "fixes" through the windows recovery console utilizing chkdsk /r as well as attempting to rename the file to nv4_mini.old. chkdsk had found and fixed 3 issues but that didn't help. Renaming the file did not work either because the file could not be found (???). I had also attempted to go back to last known good configuration, but that was no help either.
In my haste....otherwise known as stupidity and desperation :wacko: I attempted a windows repair installation from my windows cd. Needless to say that this didn't work either. I suspect that this has caused a bigger problem because I am unable to access safe mode due to "set up". I'm starting to think the only fix now will be a fresh install. Uggghh, I hope that I'm wrong.

Any assistance that you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Mark :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

Hello :).

IMO, http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm is the basic source anyone should use...when trying to interpret any STOP error.

[b]0x000000CE: DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS[/b
A driver failed to cancel pending operations before exiting. Commonly occurs after installing faulty drivers or system services.

I don't know where you got your ideas to overcome this...but the error data clearly points at the video drivers.

I would uninstall those drivers via Device Manager...then reboot the system and reinstall the video drivers, using the CD which came with the system/component.

The current installed drivers are probably damaged...such happens all the time. Once damaged, drivers often cause problems.

Louis

#3 Mark889

Mark889
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

Hi Louis,

Thank you for your help and the link, it will definitely help out in the future. :thumbup2:
The problem I have is that I can't access device mangager through windows or even through safe mode since it will not load properly; kind of a catch 22. :killcomp: There were actually some other issues I had to deal with before I had gotten to this point (computer would hang at empty black screen upon shutting down as well as at start up (8 out of 10 times). At least now, it is consistently starting up and posting (which it wasn't doing before) and attempting to load windows. I guess I compounded my problem when I did a repair install, which now, won't allow safe mode to run (getting an error message saying that setup won't allow safe mode to run). :scratchhead: I pretty much figured I had painted myself into a corner with this and was hoping there was some way out of it through the recovery console or by some other means. :blush:
Are there any other ways to remove the culprit video drivers? If you or anyone else has any more suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it. :thumbsup2:

Mark

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

The driver should not be uninstalled via device manager, but rather through ADD / REMOVE. Then go to the nvidia website and download and install the latest driver for your card.

After re-reading your last post you might want to consider a format and clean install.

Edited by Allan, 28 June 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#5 Mark889

Mark889
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

Format and clean install......yeah I was afraid of that. :( I realize that I botched this up and now I have to pay the piper. Louis and Allan, thank you for your advice. :thumbsup:

#6 Computer_tech20years

Computer_tech20years

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

No need to reformat.

Your goal is to DELETE the nv4_mini file(s)

2 options

A)  add the the hdd to another computer as 2nd hdd.

B)  create a utility boot cd from either hiren or other utility. boot from it run mini windows or other program that can be a file explorer

use expoler search for files in the hdds  windows directory name nv4_

delete or rename the files ( only one may be needed , but why waste time later

the windows fix thing will continue when you put back the hdd,

I may have missed small stuff, but you should get the gist.

If not, have someone more computer aware read this.

CONCERNING the origional issue.

On the system I was working on which this problem came up,

suspect unknown virus installed when combofix did update.

The combofix program did cont off stuff for a program to fight virus's

1) create a directory named with numbers ( about 12) inaccessible by windows xp

NOT system restore dir. something different

the dir when clicked on in explorer acts like clicking on the my computer folder

NOT listing the contents of the dir.

I had to access the dir through dos level

The dir was not listed even with dir /ah  ( which would also show hidden items.)

2) when installing current version, states update available.

yes update sets off antivirus. some files are still avtivated ( probably not detceted by AV)

3)  combofix update task could not be ended from task manager

System stated to be squirly once combofix touched.

Combofix had done 2 odd things - make inaccessible dir, wants update even though it was the latest vir. Update sets off virus program ,

So I would reccomend copying off all your data once system finishes fixing windows.

Run some rootkit scanners from someone like kaspersky

Then reinstall windows chosing to deleate the partition and recreate a new partition.

Better to be safe than sorry

I was a little surprized on the number of replys to this issue that never even read the complete problem

He could NOT start windows, so ad remove programs was never an option.

Fell free to correct my typos

also, do not bother with Panda Cloud Cleaner, to trendmicro housecall software

waste of time on most problem systems. ( even on non problem systems.)

Edited by Computer_tech20years, 29 September 2013 - 07:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users