Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video File Not Plaing, And I Have Codecs...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:52 AM

i cant run the file, even though i have the codecs i supposedly need.
it gives me the error:
"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."
(remember that i do have the codec...)
i hope the file is not defective... its quite important to me...
if its not defective, what can i do?

tnx in advance, ShadowBeast

Edited by ShadowBeast, 10 January 2006 - 08:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:48 AM

The file may very well be defective. That has happened to me before. But have you tried using a different media player? Maybe Real Player or Winamp (my personal choice :thumbsup: ; BTW, its free!). I hate Windows Media Player; that's why I only use it when I have to.

It's also possible that the codec may not be properly installed. Or the codec may not be compatible with Windows Media Player (as the error states) .Are other videos of the same file type playing in WMP? What type of file is it? (wmv, avi, etc.)

I need more info. I have several gigs worth of videos on my laptop, and I may be able to help. Try a different media player, then maybe reinstall the codec. Please post with results. Hope it works out!

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:07 PM

Along with what rms4evr said, if the file has a .mov extension, you might want to get Apple's Quicktime to play it. Unfortunately the latest version of quicktime also comes with iTunes, so if you want the newest (free) version, you're gonna have to install, then uninstall iTunes with it.

Also, look into a universal media player. I personally prefer VLC Media Player (it has a cool feature to set any video as your desktop), but have also heard awesome things about Winamp.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 10 January 2006 - 12:09 PM.

#4 ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:02 PM

u are both wrong(btw i tried 3 different media players, my default is winamp)...
the file is somewhat defective, but can be partly played...
using avi chunk viewer, this little bleepty program told me its just cut ^_^.
thanks for trying though

#5 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:05 PM

Unfortunately the latest version of quicktime also comes with iTunes, so if you want the newest (free) version, you're gonna have to install, then uninstall iTunes with it.

You can get quicktime without iTunes here hate iTunes with a passion.

Gspot is a handy app for finding information regarding what codec a file uses

g

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users