Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't run 32bit apps

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerJoe2

ComputerJoe2

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:35 AM

After a minor infection, something Komondo calls trojware.win32.agent.gen@218380279
I can not run Malwarebytes, Spybot or AdAware.

Networking not getting an IP from the router either. Have tried netsh winsock reset and went to ControlPanel-Network & Sharing-network connection but it comes up blank. Ethernet card shows up in Device Manager.

Any ideas?

Just discovered that almost every service is disabled!

Edited by ComputerJoe2, 28 June 2011 - 06:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:44 AM

Any error messages or windows?

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

1) First, Spybot and AdAware are very much old school and if I were you I'd uninstall them

2) Have you posted in BC's malware section and asked for help clearing your system of the infection(s)?

#4 ComputerJoe2

ComputerJoe2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

I'm very much old school, these tools have been working for me for years. I'm a very much old school kind of guy. I've been working on PC's for 30 years, and if you have nothing else better to offer...

I usually pull the hard drive and scan it on another machine with Malwarebytes and an anti-virus like Norton or Komondo. After removing any infected files I put the hard drive back and run the scans again to remove registry entries & other problems.

What would keep Win7 from running 32 bit apps? They stop and ask permission to run and then just go away. I have been montoring Task Manager and I can see them start then just go away. No error messages.

Edited by ComputerJoe2, 28 June 2011 - 08:25 AM.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:33 AM

I do indeed have something better to offer. MalwareBytes and Super AntiSpyware are today's best of breed. But as you wish - it's your system. It was just a suggestion.

I'm guessing it's remnants / results of the infection. My suggestion is to post in the Am I Infected forum and allow the malware experts to take a look. What's the downside?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

I do indeed have something better to offer. MalwareBytes and Super AntiSpyware are today's best of breed. But as you wish - it's your system. It was just a suggestion.

I'm guessing it's remnants / results of the infection. My suggestion is to post in the Am I Infected forum and allow the malware experts to take a look. What's the downside?

I concur with this advise here.

#7 ComputerJoe2

ComputerJoe2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:37 AM

I've just posted there.
I thought I might get an idea why it can run the windows7 games but not 32bit apps here. Nothing...Open Office or any other 32biter will start up completely. So if super-antispyware is 32bit forget it.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

Do these applications run in Safe Mode?

Hit F8 just after post screen, and select Safe Mode.

Are you getting something like:

Posted Image

#9 ComputerJoe2

ComputerJoe2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:49 AM

Safe Mode w/networking does not start them either.
That screen looks famliar but I am not getting it now, might have seen it on another PC.

#10 ComputerJoe2

ComputerJoe2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the help but I now have my 32 bit apps working. I had to rebuild the boot sector master boot record "bootsect /nt60 c: /mbr"

Now I've ran the scans and found nothing but still no internet.

If I do an ipconfig I get the internal windows 169 ip. Device manager shows a working ethernet adapter but I can not uninstall it, its uninstall utility just keeps spinning and going nowhere. If I go to control panel "network connections" it comes up blank. I can not get to any of the bindings for my ethernet adapter.

Any ideas?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:43 AM

You were probably infected with a rootkit, and as such you will need advise from the Malware Removal Team:

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

Edited by cryptodan, 30 June 2011 - 10:43 AM.

#12 ComputerJoe2

ComputerJoe2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:34 AM

I found that almost all services had been disabled. After re-enabling them everything started working.

Thanks

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:47 AM

Did you do anything to disable the services?

Services just don't disable themselves for no apparent reason.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

#14 ComputerJoe2

ComputerJoe2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

The machine got hit by a slew of trojans, and malware.
The bugs must have disabled the services much like they are now starting make all your files hidden.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

Well would you list assistance and want to make sure you computer is clean?

If so. Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users