Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amd Athlon 64 Fx57 Or X2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: AMD Athlon 64 FX57 or X2? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you think is the better overall processor?

1. AMD Athlon 64 FX57 2.8 Ghz (San Diego) (3 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.4 Ghz (Toledo) (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 What The Who

What The Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:51 AM

Price being inconsequential, which of these processors do you think is better and why?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ or AMD Athlon 64 FX57

I have heard that the Dual Core processors aren't too stable when playing lots of games, but also that the Single Core processors can't multi-task as well. I have absolutely no idea which way to go on this, so your expert knowledge and opinions would help alot!

Many thanks,

What the Who

:thumbsup:
"If it doesn't make sense... It's probably true."

- Arlo Guthrie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:10 AM

It isn't that dual cores are less stable but that they sometimes screw up scripts and stuff in games. I've had it happening in Serious Sam 2 and Call of Duty 2, but you can easily fix it buy setting the games affinity to only one core, besides the 1.1 patch in Cod2 fixed it. Nor is it so that single core processors are bad at multi-tasking, thanks to Windows, they are horrible in heavy multitasking situation, although such situations aren't that common.

If price really isn't an issue there is always the FX-60, which is as fast as the FX-57 in single threaded situations but is a dual core processor so it gets all the advantages.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:28 AM

I didn't think the FX-60 was out yet. And I haven't read much about it. But I suppose if it's the best of both worlds, that would be the way to go.

Any idea how much they'll cost?

- Arlo Guthrie

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:46 AM

AMD launched a little while ago, but I admit that the availability might not be very good. As for price, a bit above $1000.

EDIT: A guesstimate on availability is end of January if you pre-order and price seems to range from $1138 to $1599.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 10 January 2006 - 12:00 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

FX-57, unlocked multipliers for the win! If you've got the cash I would go for the FX-57 but, if you're looking at performance and value then the X2 will be just fine too.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#6 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

Now Available at Newegg!

AMD Athlon 64 FX60 Toledo 1GHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

But it's gonna run you $1399.00!!

Since this is better than the FX-57 and the X2 4800+, I guess this whole topic is kinda moot.

- Arlo Guthrie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users