Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot get into Safe Boot Mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ChiroCalvinist

ChiroCalvinist

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:47 AM

I have been working with "Sweet Tech"on resolving a root kit infection which we think is resolved. One problem remains which he/she asked me to refer here for a resolution. Ever since this virus infection, I am unable to boot into safe mode. I get to the Windows advanced options screen and the keyboard freezes and I am unable to scroll up or down to choose any option like "safe mode". Therefore, I am forced to power down and restart. I am hoping that someone will be able to fix this. I suspect the virus did this to protect itself.

Thanks,

CC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:07 AM

Can you try another keyboard? Does your keyboard allow you to get into the BIOS?

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:15 AM

When you say the keyboard "freezes" do you mean the system appears not to recognize any entries at all from the keyboard? If so, is it a usb keyboard? If it is, try a ps2 keyboard if you have one available. Then go into bios and look for an entry that says something like USB legacy support or Enable USB Support At Boot - if you find such an entry, make sure it's enabled. I suppose it's possible that entry was changed somehow.

#4 ChiroCalvinist

ChiroCalvinist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

By "freezes" I mean that there is no response to any key stroke or combination of keystrokes. This is the only time that this occurs. Only at the point when after repeatedly hitting the F8 key and the Windows screen comes up where you are allowed to choose Safe Mode or Safe Mode with networking etc. then does the keyboard stop functioning. The number lock light will not come on and of course the cursor keys do not respond. There is no apparent response to any keyboard input and of course I am then unable to boot into Safe Mode. It is as if something inserted a string of code that disables the keyboard whenever that screen appears.

I could try to find a different keyboard if you really think it is logical that the keyboard is the issue, but I have to say that it strikes me as a very strange malfunction for a keyboard to only lock up only when that particular screen comes up and then function perfectly well at all other times.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

If "usb at boot" is disabled in bios the system won't see any usb device (including a usb keyboard) until the OS loads the kb driver. That's why I suggested a ps2 keyboard as a diagnostic step (as well as to be able to enter bios if in fact this is the problem).

#6 ChiroCalvinist

ChiroCalvinist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

I see. Please tell me how to check to see if "usb at boot" is disabled.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users