Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New HP Envy 14 Windows 7 ridiculously long boot

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 k77996

k77996

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:05 AM

Hi, I just purchased a HP Envy 14 with Windows 7 preloaded. The boot time is incredibly long from start to finish. Several minutes at the windows flag, a while on a black screen before the login screen and then I have to wait another 2-3 minutes after I login before I can smoothly use the laptop. I have updated the system and installed the drivers for my mouse. I have installed League of Legends, GOM player, AIMP, AIM, Google Chrome, Open Office, Steam, and Starcraft 2. Does anyone know whats wrong? I read somewhere that the harddrive might not be getting enough power quickly enough to boot due to a faulty connection. Any help or advice would be great, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:29 AM

Try a clean boot and see what is causing the slowness.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:34 AM

By all means try the clean boot as suggested above, but in the end 2-3 minutes isn't that unusual - especially for some laptops.

#4 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:54 PM

I just did a clean boot with nothing plugged into the laptop except for the power cord. It took 5 minutes to reach the windows desktop. About a minute or so after, I opened up google chrome and started browsing. Then I tried to run msconfig again, but the start bar froze for about a minute while chrome still ran fairly well.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

Well, if the only complaint is how long it takes to boot I'd live with it. I have a laptop that takes close to 5 minutes to fully boot. I turn it on and go do something else for a few minutes. After that it's a great system.

#6 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

I guess you're right. But even after 8 minutes, the system still freezes up pretty often. The weird thing is that I read in another forum post that the same laptop booted in about 50 seconds.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

The fact that it freezes frequently is an entirely different story. Have you checked for malware? If not, please run FULL system scans with BOTH your anti virus app and with MalwareBytes. Then, please check the hd and ram:

To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

#8 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:48 AM

I ran MalwareBytes and Microsoft Security Essentials scans with no malware. The startup still takes 5-6 minutes to get to the desktop and the freezing lasts for about 10 minutes after. I don't have any cds on me at the moment so I will run memtest later on and post the results. Thanks

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:21 AM

You say it is new. Might be worth checking manufacturing date.

COPIED FROM A REVIEW:
Any HP Envy released prior to January 31, 2011 comes with a FAULTY INTEL CHIPSET! The problem is announced on Intel's website, and there is no fix other than hardware replacement.

The Intel chipset on these models cases slow or rapid SATA, and DVDR connector degradation. What does this mean? The laptop will be nearly unusable. Frequent lag, HDD failure

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:24 PM

I posted a thread on the HP support site and at the moment I'm waiting for a response. Hopefully I will get the problem fixed. I'm not sure if it was the manufacture date, but in the system information next to the battery information it said 2010. =( Thanks for your help. I'll update any responses or fixes I get. The website I ordered the laptop from (microsoft online store) sold out this model recently so I'm assuming people may have a similar problem in the future.

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

Here's some related info that may help:

How to check if your chipset is affected: Intel® Chipset Design Issue May Affect Certain HP Desktop and Notebook PCs

Intel Identifies Chipset Design Error, Implementing Solution

HP Envy FAULTY INTEL CHIPSET Google search

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:20 PM

That is the right thing to do. Especially if the comp is under warranty.
I was about to post info similar to what that "thug" posted. That is some good info.

I use a program on Windows that will probably tell you more than you need to know about your computer software and hardware.
You can install it or use a stand alone. Here is a link to it and just scroll down to the bottom of the page for
the FREE version download.
SIW | Download

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

It turns out my laptop doesn't have listed defective chipset, but I'm still having to wait 10ish minutes to be able to use my pc smoothly. I'll try removing some programs and changing some settings. Would a clean install be recommended?

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

I think that is what I would do. Clean reinstall.
I would use it a day or two after reinstall without adding any software other than Windows updates.
If the problem of slow boot or other show up I would be shipping it back for repair or replacement.
It is under warranty.....right?

#15 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

It's still under warranty, but I'll be out of town for another 4 weeks.. I'll probably stop by CVS and get some dvds to recover the laptop then decide what to do after.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users