Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your grammar pet peeve?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 HelpINeedHelp

HelpINeedHelp

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:20 AM

Here are my pet peeves:

1. Could care less instead of Couldn't care less

2. Got replacing have

3. "Try and" instead of "Try to"

4. There's replacing There are

5. Misspelling of "Grammar" (Grammer)

Edited by HelpINeedHelp, 28 June 2011 - 11:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:29 AM

5. Mispelling of "Grammar" (Grammer)

Not to mention misspelling of "misspelling"
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:14 AM

I talk English gooder then my frend hes reely stooped i dont liek it wen he tris two tell me i cant talk good.

#4 CFred

CFred

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:27 AM

Hope this is ok....

People who say "I axe You a question" vs. "I asked You a question", though it is rather humorous.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:26 AM

though it is rather humorous.

Yes. I like the way Futurama has "axe" (or "arcs" or however it should be) as the correct pronunciation in the far future.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Christie23

Christie23

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

So many...

1. "Subbosobly" "Flustrated" "Acrosst" and "Funner" don't exist. They just don't.

2. You're vs. Your, its vs. it's

3. Ending sentences with prepositional phrases, at.

4. Insisting on using big words without understanding what they actually mean. "The elaboration of the pontification is tremendously obtuse."

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:17 AM

4. Insisting on using big words without understanding what they actually mean. "The elaboration of the pontification is tremendously obtuse."

+1

Why use big words, when diminutive ones work just as well?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 HelpINeedHelp

HelpINeedHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

5. Mispelling of "Grammar" (Grammer)

Not to mention misspelling of "misspelling"

Wait, I'm incorrect?

Stupid computer...

#9 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

My foible is "affect" vs "effect"

My peeve is people using texting and gaming acronyms when speaking. I'm sorry but please NEVER speak the phrase "LOL" to express amusement.

#10 HelpINeedHelp

HelpINeedHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

I forgot a few:

1. People who use "due to the fact that". "Due to the fact that" is wordy, clumsy, long, and doesn't sound fancy, it sounds wrong. Use "due to" or simple "because".

2. Me, I and myself. People NEVER know when to use any of these words. "Jaime and me are going to the nightclub" is incorrect, "the paper had to be signed by Jaime and I/myself" is incorrect, and another one is "I have to get me a new radio". The correct version is "I have to get myself a new radio". Also, you should only use "myself" in sentences like this: "I'm not fond of asparagus myself". A helpful hint is whenever in doubt of me/I, take out the other person and see if it makes sense. You usually wouldn't say, "Me am going to the nightclub" or "The contract had to be signed by I". "You and I" is also mistaken commonly. You and I should only be used in sentences like this: "You and I are going shopping at the mall". You and me should be reserved for this: "This secret is between only you and me".

3. Ain't. Enough said. And don't get me started on "ain't got"...

4. Kind of/sort of. In standard usage, kind of never means "rather, somewhat etc." despite common today. Kind of should only be used like this: "A berliner is a kind/type/sort of doughnut". Note how people misspell doughnut as donut.

5. Misuse of "don't". You should only use "don't" like this: "I don't know much about the sports car convention up in Berkeley except that it will start at 7:00 PM tonight". Don't should NEVER be used like this despite being common: "If he don't come, then we may as well let James take his place".

6. Can replacing may. This one never dies. "Can" means by ability. Saying "Can I go to the bathroom" is actually nonsensical. You're saying whether it's possible to walk to the bathroom. OF COURSE WE KNOW A HUMAN CAN WALK HIM/HERSELF TO THE D A M N BATHROOM. Sorry, but the mistake really peeves me (or rather pisses me, excuse me for my language) off. The standard equivalent is "may". However, nobody uses it anymore. "May" is dieing and agonizing death.

7. If I was/were. The word "were" is dead. Nobody knows that "was" in such sentences is non-standard. Of course, people use "Were you stung by a bee", but considering new culture replacing it with "was" and other horrible grammar mistakes, expect it to die.

8. Relaxed pronunciations. AKA gonna, wanna, kinda, gotta, coulda etc. All irritating, but "gonna" and "wanna" stand out as the most annoying. Both of those words are epidemic to the point that no matter what country you are in, everyone uses it.

9. The past-tense of drag is "dragged", not "drug"!

10. Double negatives. Again, enough said.

Unfortunately, some of these mistakes will be considered Standard if these mistakes continue to live in modern culture. I am not opposed to change, and change is good, but these should NOT be considered Standard in the future.

BTW: It's scary to be posting on such topics because of the possibility you've made a mistake and somebody will pick up on your mistake. Well, everyone makes mistakes, even the most professional of all grammarians.

Edited by HelpINeedHelp, 28 June 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

I could do a book on 'em. But I think that at the top of my list is: "People that........." or "Someone that........." as opposed to "People who...." or "Someone who....."
A person is a "who", not a "that".

Unfortunately, like so many other grammatical inconsistencies it has become "accepted usage" over the years and is no longer considered incorrect. I remember way back in my college days (my undergrad is in English) I questioned an English Professor when he said "people that......". I received nothing but a dirty look and a B- on my midterm.

#12 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

This guy does not understand why all this grammatical screw up bothers you all so much. We are not writing books, the people are just attempting to get points across. Sacrificing a couple letters and joining words should not be scrutinized as if it were for a grade.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

hi i am new here and i have a problem my computer is slow it also tells me page cannot be found a lot my email is giving me errors when i try to send mail i dont know whats wrong can you help me please i am a computer dummy and dont know a lot tell me how to copy paste i cant figure out how to do it how do i delete cookies the only thing i know about cookies is that someone told me to delete them please help

I could go on with more but you get the idea. I detest the lack of proper sentence structure and punctuation. When I see posts like this I tend to ignore them. Trying to make sense of them gives me a headache. I can ignore a spelling error, but not something like the above.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:23 PM

This guy does not understand why all this grammatical screw up bothers you all so much. We are not writing books, the people are just attempting to get points across. Sacrificing a couple letters and joining words should not be scrutinized as if it were for a grade.

Because

1) That's what the OP wanted this thread to be about :) and
2) A HUGE problem with today's youth is that they have no idea how to communicate intelligibly in writing. If they ever intend to progress beyond menial jobs, that lack of writing skills will jump up and bite them in the rear end. What's wrong with writing intelligent, cohesive, grammatically correct sentences in public forums? While I never correct anyone's grammar or spelling on these forums I do cringe frequently. The posts are written by tomorrows' leaders (OR NOT).

#15 HelpINeedHelp

HelpINeedHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

If you don't like the topic... just don't post. I respect your opinion, but you don't have to rub it in on other people's faces. After all, this topic is about grammar and in the general chat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users