Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No hard disk found

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wordmaster

wordmaster

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

I have a computer with an Abit KV8pro mother board and it has a Samsung 500GB SATA hard drive installed along with an IDE CD drive. I am trying to load XP Pro from a genuine XP pro cd. It boots up then says it finds no hard drive. This is a new hard drive with nothing on it.

I have hit f6 and put in the Abit floppy SATA drivers. It shows four different drivers and I have tried all four, all with the same results.

I had set this computer up in the past with a different SATA drive using Windows 98 and had no problems with the drive being found.

I have checked the bios and SATA RAID ROM and boot from SATA drive are enabled. I have tried it with the SATA RAID ROM disabled and with boot from PCI slot. Still no joy.

I have also tried a different power cable and a different SATA cable and have tried the second SATA port. Still get no hard drive found. I returned the drive as it appeared to be dead on arrival after all this and today I got the replacement. Everything exactly as before. No hard drive found. I know it is possible to get two new dead drives, but the chances are slim. What am I missing?

Any and all help appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 28 June 2011 - 03:37 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:15 AM

Please post the BIOS screens reflecting SATA options.

Is the original CMOS battery still installed?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 June 2011 - 07:16 AM.

#3 wordmaster

wordmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

In "advanced BIOS features" it has:
Hard disk boot priority... options are...Bootable add in cards
under that is the next heading
__Bootable Add-in device...options are ... PCI slot device or onchip SATA RAID

In "Integrated Peripherals: it has
Onchip IDE device...first option is SATA RAID ROM, enabled or disabled the others are IDE options and all are enabled.

Yes it has the original CMOS battery, but there is no problem with BIOS settings holding as they should.

Also, I unhooked the new drive and hooked up the old SATA drive that has Windows 98 on it, and it booted right up, no problem. Also, with the SATA RAID ROM disabled, it showed the
SATA drive as master on IDE 5.

With the new drive nothing shows.

#4 wordmaster

wordmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

Is there any help or is it just another bad drive?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

I think that you need to start at the beginning...take a look at a motherboard/user manual that reflects your BIOS...and make sure you have the proper settings.

Once that is done, speculation can begin...again, starting with the CMOS battery.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users