Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General Question about Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HelpINeedHelp

HelpINeedHelp

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

I will explain that more clearly. If I install Service Pack 3, do all the programs installed on my computer and other games, pictures, videos etc get deleted and Windows goes back to its "stock" version? Or does it just stay the same as it was?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

Windows critical updates...do nothing but modify system files...that is, files which relate only to the Windows version installed.

No critical update of any type has an impact on programs installed or data files.

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:17 AM

While everything hamluis said is 100% correct, there is never any harm in backing up critical data before performing a major system update (such as installing a service pack) or a drive level operation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users