Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"application not found" - Office 2003

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 notanexpert1963

notanexpert1963

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

I have a Windows XP Professional with service pack 3 machine on my network that has been acting sluggish for several days. I was just informed today about the issue. When trying to access Microsoft Office 2003, AutoCAD and other items including Firefox etc. I either receive the message "Application not found" or I need to choose a program to use.

Here is what I have done so far:

Ran Malwarebytes in standard and safe mode, removed TrojanProxy.Agent (delete on reboot). I did not remove PUP.perfectoptimizer since I am not sure what it is.
I ran a defrag
I deleted the files in prefetch (per Geeks To Go Forums)
I have looked around the registry for the files associated with the above mentioned trojan and do not find any.

I found some information about Window's File Association Fix and fixing the EXE Association but being a lay person not very comfortable doing that because the instructions are vague.

I have Vipre as my AntiVirus software, there is a scan done everyday at lunch. I have not run a scan on the machine since I started working with the issue to see if it picks up anything.

If someone would give me some assistance I would greatly appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:14 PM

Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop.

* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

============================================================================

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Be sure to restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

==========================================================================

Please download Rootkit Unhooker from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.
Link 1 (.exe file)
Link 2 (zipped file)
Link 3 (.rar file)In order to use this tool if you downloaded from either of the second two links, you will need to extract the RKUnhookerLE.exe file using a program capable of extracing ZIP and RAR compressed files. If you don't have an extraction program, you can download, install and use the free 7-zip utility.

• Double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to start the program.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Report tab, then click Scan.
  • Check Drivers, Stealth, and uncheck the rest.
  • Click OK.
  • Wait until it's finished and then go to File > Save Report.
  • Save the report to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the contents of the report into your next reply.
-- Note: You may get this warning...just ignore it, click OK and continue: "Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself! It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?".

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 aaroncubing

aaroncubing

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

I had the same problem, after getting one of those fake XP Security 2011 viruses. I did a boot-up scan with Avast, which deleated the virus. But then when I clicked on desktop icons, it asked what program to open it with, or if it didn't have a desktop icon, it would say "application not found" with a rundll32 error. I found these instructions, and it completly fixed whatever the virus messed up.

Go To www.dougknox.com
In the left hand column, click WinXP fixes
Then in the list that comes up, click File Association fixes
Then in the next list that appears, click EXE File Association Fix

Then when you download the file, and the folder pops up, right click on the file, and click run. Then restart you system.

Good luck.

Edited by aaroncubing, 28 June 2011 - 08:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users