Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions for more speed with photo editing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 funlover

funlover

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:11 PM

I have the following system and recently installed Win7 64 bit and love it, but lately while working on photo editing, I get the hourglass pretty often. I did download new drivers for the Display adapter. I also tried 4 more gigs of memory, but didn't notice any improvement. I am open to any upgrade suggestions to improve speed and would really appreciate any help.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P P45 775
CPU INTEL|C2D E8500 3.16G 775 45N
MEM 2Gx2|CORS TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF
CPUCOOLER|ARCTIC P4|ACFZ7-PRO
LG|GH22NS30 22X SATA
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS [Display adapter]
HP w2408 [Monitor] (24.0"vis, s/n CND8031LY9, January 2008)
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

Edited by hamluis, 28 June 2011 - 01:33 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Graphics.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

What are you using for photo editing? Also the video card seems kind of weak could stand to get an upgrade.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

I use Photoshop Elements 6...suggestion for a card?

Edited by funlover, 27 June 2011 - 04:55 PM.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

For that please post a new topic in this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum139.html then place a link to this topic in that new post. :) They will be able to help you better than I can.

Edited by computerxpds, 27 June 2011 - 05:07 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

You may waat to explore These Links as well as soem of the related Adobe/PS forums.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2011 - 06:14 AM.

#6 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

Thank you Louis..will do

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

A few general things to keep in mind while editing photos...those programs are memory hogs. Every time you do something to an image, it makes a snapshot of it for the "history" (so you can "undo" it later). If you've got your history states set to a high number, you're sucking up more memory.

Have only one image (or as few as needed if combining them). The more you have open, the more memory the program sucks up. If you're done with a 2nd (or other multiple images), close them.

Some programs will allow you to tweak the amount of RAM that the program can use (via "options" or "preferences"), and usually 85% is a good number - high enough not to take away from other programs, and low enough to do what the program needs.

If you see the program starting to lag, save your image and restart the program. If it still lags, restart the computer, as that will free up RAM being held by programs.

Limit the amount of programs that start when Windows starts. The more programs you have running, the less memory you have for other things. Not to mention that some programs "run in the background" which slows the processor down.

Don't make your image larger than it needs to be...in more ways than one. If you're making an avatar for a website, and it's only going to be 100x100 pixels, then start it out at that size, rather than making it huge and then shrinking it down. Also, keep your image's PPI (Pixels Per Inch) at a decent size. Anything for the internet will look fine at 72 PPI, but no larger than 100 PPI. Images that you'll be printing should not be higher than 300 PPI (as that's usually the max for high end printers). If your printer is only 200 PPI max, then match your image PPI to your printers PPI. The higher the PPI, the larger the image size is and the more memory it sucks up.

These are just some off the top of my head...hope it helps! :thumbup2:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users