Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezes & rebooting with i5-based system

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ceenvee703

ceenvee703

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

Last time I built a system was 4 or 5 years ago; I decided to upgrade to get some current features, particularly video encoding acceleration via Sandy Bridge based motherboards. I thought it'd be easy but unfortunately it's been one headache after another; hoping to get some help here to troubleshoot my various snags.

I purchased an Intel DZ68DB motherboard, 8GB of RAM, and a i5-2500K 3.3GHz processor (using the stock Intel CPU cooler). Pulled my old motherboard and attached existing hardware to the new motherboard (Antec 450W power supply, 250GB SATA hard drive, SATA-based Blu-ray reader / DVD burner, all in an Antec Sonata case with two 120mm fans). Was going to run with on-board Intel graphics, so no graphics card. No overclocking either. Installed Windows 7 64-bit.

All was going well until I started trying to use the Sandy Bridge features. When I either used the video encoding acceleration (using software like Badaboom), or when my son ran a 3D-accelerated online game (Runequest), within 5-15 minutes the screen would get a hash of horizontal lines across it and the system locked up, or it would spontaneously reboot.

Called tech support at the company where I purchased the mobo, and they had me run MemTest86+. It ran two passes error-free, so they then RMAed my board and sent me a replacement.

In the meantime, I upgraded the power supply to a Corsair 750W (Enthusiast series). I also got a EVGA GeForce GTX460, since now I had a power supply to handle it. I installed the power supply but held off on the graphics board.

When I got the replacement DZ68DB, I removed the existing board and prepared to move the RAM and CPU over (grounding strap in use, by the way). Unfortunately, the stock Intel CPU cooler would not come completely free of the motherboard: two pins came loose when I twisted the "thumbscrews" CCW, but two stayed stuck. I didn't want to force them out so I just reattached the stock Intel cooler, then added in the GTX460, to see how it ran with a GPU instead of the on-board video.

So now, instead of getting freezes after 5 minutes, I get occasional freezes while encoding (usually after about 30 minutes), and my son gets occasional rebooting while playing his 3D-accelerated game (after 45 minutes or so).

Which makes me suspect... I'm not sure any more. Maybe the original motherboard isn't bad after all? Maybe lousy CPU cooling? Lousy overall system cooling?

I'm getting a new CPU cooler later this week (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus), since I've been told it's likely that the pins on the Intel cooler won't work if I'm able to force them out -- so I'll need a new CPU anyway.

I'm sorry for the length of this post but I wanted to be complete. It's getting to be a frustrating upgrade, and more expensive than I was originally planning it to be. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2011 - 02:14 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users