Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 - Endless Repair Startup Loop, Etc

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 struwwel

struwwel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

Hi all -

Multiple issues here. Running Windows 7, have had no issues for the past 15 months. About 3 weeks ago, an automatic Microsoft update didn't finish installing properly. When updates attempted to install during shutdown, the computer would freeze.

Two nights ago, the computer restarted in the middle of me working and would not load Windows properly; it attempted automatic startup repair and was unable to finish it. The problem detail file noted CI.DLL was corrupt. This will happen over and over again. I googled and found discussions of an "endless repair startup loop" - but trying to fix the issue via some of those methods hasn't helped. I have reverted to an earlier state (3 weeks ago), disallowed updates, copied ci.dll from my roommate's computer...to no avail.

The only way I have been able to get my computer to restart is to press F8 during startup, and to choose "Disable Digital Signature Verification." My machine runs, I still get frozen with update installation, or go into the repair startup loop.

In addition, in the last two days, both Firefox and Google Chrome have gotten buggy. Firefox has new tabs that pop up like the $1000 Walmart gift card scam. I uninstalled Firefox and installed Chrome, which is having link issues. When I click on links searched thru Google, they frequently redirect to either shopica.com or scour.com. This seems like a registry issue to me.

I have done a full system scan using Microsoft Security Essentials, which found nothing. I did a quick scan using MalwareBytes, which found one Trojan - and while running that scan, Microsoft Security Essentials found three java/trojan issues. Because of the restart issues, however, I'm unclear whether these have actually been cleared - since I've done that process a couple of times with identical results.

Hope someone can help me! About eight years ago my office had some similar issues and y'all were a great help.

Thank you,
Peter

Edited by hamluis, 28 June 2011 - 07:37 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users