Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What type of Hard Drive and or RAM do I need?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

Hi,
I have recently (early this month) reformatted my computer after a serious backdoor and keylogger virus infection. Not my doing!!!
Even before this my computer would sometimes not start properly or freeze. However, the other day I had to restart the computer booting from the Windows CD and do a repair install as it only ever got to the Windows starting screen with the blue bar at the bottom. The bar would arrive in the middle and then reboot....this went into a never ending loop.It wouldn't even start-up in "Safe Mode" After this, when the computer booted, a continuous run of "Grave Error" messages were generated to be sent to Microsoft(MS). On sending a few of them, I was told to do a CHKDSK scan which I promptly did. I can't find a log file to see if any errors were found but after restarting, Windows said that it couldn't find the User Profile and that the default profile would be loaded instead. Under details there was written - Impossible to find the specified path.
I have had to repair install Windows Office 2003 as the pst file was corrupt and several things wouldn't work. I'm still finding programs that need repair installs or re-installs!!!
Speaking to somebody about this they said that maybe the Hard Drive is on its way out!!

Another thing is that when I click "Start, Turn Off, Restart". It seems that the restart doesn't work as this method just turns off the computer.
The computer will be 7 years old in December. Here is some info on the computer which I think maybe useful. The first is a link to SPECCY, the rest is from (in order) The mother board manufacturer and Belarc Advisor Scan. I'm thinking of updating my computer due to these problems and am seeking any advice.
I thank you in advance for any help.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/E0w0rWBbYtawC2uDjN7tyRe

ASROCK P4V88
Socket 478 for Intel® P4 processor
VIA® PT880 chipset
Supports FSB800MHz processor, Prescott Ready and H-T Technology
Supports DDR400 and Dual Channel Technology
Hybrid Booster - ASRock safe overclocking
SATA 1.5Gb/s, RAID 0,1,JBOD, SATA HDD_Hotplug
AGP8X, 5.1-Ch Audio, 10/100 Ethernet LAN
ASRock I/O Plus: 6 ready-to-use USB 2.0 ports

Belarc Advisor Scan

Operating System
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: Italiano (Italia)
System Locale: Italiano (Italia)
Installed: 06/06/2011 17.37.12

Processor
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Hyper-threaded (2 total)

Main Circuit Board
Board: P4V88 1.0
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.60 10/28/2004

Memory Modules
512 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Drives
1082.15 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
656.21 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

DTSoftBusCd00 [Optical drive]
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B [Optical drive]
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4120B [Optical drive]
Unità disco floppy [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6Y080L0 [Hard drive] (81.96 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Y2K5SBLE, rev YAR41BW0, SMART Status: Healthy
WD Ext HDD 1021 USB Device [Hard drive] (1000.19 GB) -- drive 1
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:47 AM

Hi, I'm somewhat confused (as usual) :).

Your title asks about hard drive and RAM...but your post content indicates a possibly bad hard drive.

Since anything wrong with the hard drive will make life miserable for any computer user...I understand that being a concern, but I don't know why you included RAM as a possible suspect in your title...partticularly if you've been running with 512MB for 7 years. Is there soemthing else we shoud know?

<<Maxtor 6Y080L0 [Hard drive] (81.96 GB)>>

I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic, long diagnosticc, on that drive.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools , I would run the SeaTools for DOS utility, following the prescribed instructions for doing so...before I decide that I want/need a new hard drive.

Louis

#3 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for your reply,
It's my mistake, I was so busy thinking what to write about the hard drive that I forgot about the RAM.
I was going to take this opportunity to maybe also update the RAM as I only have 512MB. Nowadays, many programs want higher specs.

Up until recently, when opened my computer, I would see the space on both the C:\ and D:\ drives around 39.3ish (It's just one 80GB drive that's got two partitions. Now these drives have kind of shrunk to 39.0GB and 37.2GB respectively.

I will run the Seatools tool after this reply and edit this post.
Thanks again.

I have run the Seatools scanner. I can report that it didn't find anything and that it passed the short and long tests. Even though nothing was apparently found why has the disc space disappeared?

One other thing, As I didn't have Nero installed at the time, I tried to install it a few times but the computer crashed during installation. I ended up installing "Free Easy Burner" to make the bootable ISO disc.

Any help would be grateful.

Edited by English Teacher, 27 June 2011 - 04:22 PM.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users