Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A New Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ChipLover

ChipLover

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

Whats up guys.

So I'm looking to build a new computer, and its my first too. I have taken apart and rebuilt several factory built computers before, so i do have some basic sense and knowledge behind hardware and their workings, but I'm the first to admit, i have no idea what to put into a new computer. So, some help would be great.

Some specifications:
Budget - $500 - $700 USD
Usage - Gaming (Starcraft 2, and a couple free downloadable games), movie watching, and programming (both web and computer applications)
HDD - At-least 1 TB (love movies)

Additionally, I have a decent monitor (planning on hooking it up to my TV, so an HDMI port would be great), keyboard and mouse, so don't include them in the budget :]

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any help given.

*Edit: Grammar edits*

Edited by ChipLover, 26 June 2011 - 09:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

First things first right now is (in my opinion) not the best time to go overboard on a build especially in the motherboard and CPU areas, get something that will perform well and doesn't cost too much. Hopefully in 6 months to a year AM3+ boards will drop in price to reasonable levels.

You can look at my build to give you an idea (I just built it last week, My build) but the big thing you'll need to decide (well the 3 big things you need to decide) is AMD or Intel, Nvidia or ATI, and what are you salvaging off your current PC (DVD drives, hard drives, etc)

Edited by BlackSpyder, 26 June 2011 - 10:43 PM.

Posted Image

#3 imightbewrong

imightbewrong

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

What I usually do when I try to make a list of hardware for a computer (most of the time just to drool over but not actually purchase lol) is find a cool and good for price motherboard (and or cpu bundles) and then base everything on compatibility and what i feel is a good price. you have to also keep in mind that it doesnt have to be too powerful. whatever works well is good

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:10 AM

Black Spyder has a point there and AMD and Intel will be both releasing their new CPU later in the year.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users