Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

screen saver disabled still

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

I started out in the "am I infected?" forum, ran some scans with an admin there. I was then sent to the malware removal forum where more scans were run. here is the link to that thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic404231.html/page__st__30

the problem was that I could not pick a screen saver, it kept reverting to (none) and no screen saver would come on. During my time in the malware removal forum, at some point I was able to pick a screen saver AND it was working again, yay!! except now it's back to reverting to (none) and again, no screen saver at all. The tech that helped me in the malware removal forum suggested posting the issue here in hopes that it's a windows Vista issue and someone knows how to fix.

thanks in advance for any help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 imightbewrong

imightbewrong

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:45 PM

This may not mean anything but do you have other users on your computer? if you dont try making one and see if this happens to the other user
or if you do have one, check to see if theirs does the same.

the only thing i can think of that would cause this is a problem in your registry that stores settings such as screen savers. i am still learning so i cannot advise you on how to alter or change your settings :)

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

thank you. I think you might be on to something in your last statement because once we did the system restore, the problem reappeared! so....awaiting an answer from the tech to see if there's a solution to that.

thanks much!

#4 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

well I thought it was the ESET online scan that corrected the screen saver issue. but apparently not as I just reran that scan and still I cannot fix the screen saver. hoping someone here can tell me how to fix this. it's not a big deal but it is a tad annoying.

thanks again in advance!

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

okay, so my thread was closed and now the PC is acting goofy again! beyond just the screen saver. we just downloaded google chrome browser and we're not able to get into the options page at all. when we click, it shows the options briefly but then disappears so we're not able to change anything in there. When I went to uninstall Firefox and used the scroll, it went all haywire again. It was doing this before I got help to clean the machine and then it went away. and now it's back! I ended up closing out of the add/remove programs and reopening it and then the scroll on the right worked fine.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I also PM'd the tech that was working with me on this machine to see if he could reopen or help or.....I'm nearly ready to toss this machine out the window!!

#6 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

well, now I am thinking this machine is just a lemon. I have gone full circle with it here and I'm right back where I started. I don't know which scans are the ones that removed these issues and I hesitate to redo the tasks that were in my malware (turns out it wasn't malware) thread for fear of ruining the machine even further.

so....now I'm considering upgrading to Windows 7. Does anyone think this will solve the issues I'm having?

any help would be greatly appreciated. hoping someone will read this and be able to help.......

barring that, I have a cheap HP machine running Windows Vista. anyone interested? :D

#7 imightbewrong

imightbewrong

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:54 PM

well, now I am thinking this machine is just a lemon. I have gone full circle with it here and I'm right back where I started. I don't know which scans are the ones that removed these issues and I hesitate to redo the tasks that were in my malware (turns out it wasn't malware) thread for fear of ruining the machine even further.

so....now I'm considering upgrading to Windows 7. Does anyone think this will solve the issues I'm having?

any help would be greatly appreciated. hoping someone will read this and be able to help.......

barring that, I have a cheap HP machine running Windows Vista. anyone interested? :D

does the problem return only when you restart? how do you notice it not working?

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

64-bit users go HERE
  • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Vista\Win 7 users:: Right click on SystemLook.exe, click Run As Administrator
  • Copy the content of the following box into the main textfield:
    :reg
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

• Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

Edited by Broni, 27 June 2011 - 10:31 PM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:23 AM

thanks Broni. I did not get the option to save to my desktop, it just appeared as something to click on my lower left corner of the screen. and, even with the log I could not scroll all the way down but did manage to copy the entire log using the keyboard:

SystemLook 04.09.10 by jpshortstuff
Log created at 07:21 on 28/06/2011 by maggieo
Administrator - Elevation successful

========== reg ==========

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ActiveWndTrackTimeout"= 0x0000000000 (0)
"BlockSendInputResets"="0"
"CaretWidth"= 0x0000000001 (1)
"ClickLockTime"= 0x00000004b0 (1200)
"CoolSwitchColumns"="7"
"CoolSwitchRows"="3"
"CursorBlinkRate"="530"
"DragFullWindows"="1"
"DragHeight"="4"
"DragWidth"="4"
"FocusBorderHeight"= 0x0000000001 (1)
"FocusBorderWidth"= 0x0000000001 (1)
"FontSmoothing"="2"
"FontSmoothingGamma"= 0x0000000000 (0)
"FontSmoothingOrientation"= 0x0000000001 (1)
"FontSmoothingType"= 0x0000000002 (2)
"ForegroundFlashCount"= 0x0000000003 (3)
"ForegroundLockTimeout"= 0x0000030d40 (200000)
"LeftOverlapChars"="3"
"MenuShowDelay"="400"
"PaintDesktopVersion"= 0x0000000000 (0)
"RightOverlapChars"="3"
"TileWallpaper"="0"
"WallpaperOriginX"= 0x0000000000 (0)
"WallpaperOriginY"= 0x0000000000 (0)
"WallpaperStyle"="0"
"WheelScrollChars"="3"
"WheelScrollLines"="3"
"ScreenSaveActive"="1"
"ScreenSaverIsSecure"="0"
"ScreenSaveTimeOut"="1200"
"WallPaper"="C:\Users\maggieo\Pictures\Eddie spring 2008\DSCN1887.JPG"
"UserPreferencesMask"=9e 3e 07 80 12 00 00 00 (REG_BINARY)
"SCRNSAVE.EXE"="C:\Windows\system32\Bubbles.scr"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\LanguageConfiguration]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]

-= EOF =-

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

Those settings are correct, so it must be some other reason.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#11 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

would somebody be able to look at the malware forum thread I linked above and tell me if I can do the OTL stuff before the system restore? because I think that's when the issues disappeared.

what is the reason for the system restore? I've been here enough (unfortunately) to know that this is one of the final steps before the thread is closed. Do I have to do that system restore? I'm just afraid of blowing the thing up further that I was hoping somebody could tell me if those OTL tasks are OK to do or not.

thanks much for any help.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:03 PM

I suggest, you PM your malware helper and ask him.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:24 PM

I did that, he hasn't responded. maybe will follow up. thanks.

or, do you think upgrading to Windows 7 might get rid of those issues?

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

Most likely, upgrade won't do.
Clean install of Windows 7 surely will do.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:14 PM

ok, thanks much!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users