Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which programs can be safely uninstalled?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Wang Yuan Ji

Wang Yuan Ji

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:23 PM

Hi,

I want to clean up two computers (especially the first).

-

The first computer has 153 programs installed (mostly games that came pre-installed) - Way too many, so I took a screenshot of the computer's list of programs. The screenshot for this computer can be found at the following link: http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1611818programlist.jpg

A short summary of most of the programs I'm not sure are okay to uninstall:

All Apple entries
Akamai NetSession Interface
All Hewlett-Packard games
All Hoyle entries
All HP entries
All Sonic entries
All Windows Live entries
All Yahoo! entries
Windows Automated Installation Kit
Windows Media Player 11 (and Windows Media Format 11 runtime)
QuickTime Player

-

The second computer doesn't have many programs installed but I'd still like to clean up what's left. A screenshot for this computer's list of programs can be found at the following link: http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5797368installedprograms.jpg

-

Edit: Note: I'm currently receiving help diagnosing multiple BSOD's (same cause I believe) the first computer had experienced. Would it be okay to clean up the Add/Remove Programs list or should I wait until after the cause of the BSOD's has been determined as well as resolved?

Edit 2: Off-Topic: I would like to install DirectX 9. I think the 3D-Modeling and Animation programs (i.e. PMD Editor, MikuMikuDance, Blender) I want to install would benefit from it. I downloaded DirectX 9 from Filehippo.com. I ran the self-extractor, directx_Jun2010_redist.exe, and ended up with a folder containing a lot of cabinet files as well as an installer. I ran the installer, DXSETUP.exe, from inside the folder. A few files were installed and then I received a prompt stating that the software had been successfully installed and is ready to use, however, there is no entry in Add/Remove Programs (nor is there a folder in C:\Program Files).

The following link is an image of the folder extracted by directx_Jun2010_redist.exe: http://www.filedropper.com/directx9

Edit: Added new, easier-to-use links to images

Edited by Wang Yuan Ji, 27 June 2011 - 03:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 imightbewrong

imightbewrong

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:43 PM

regarding your list and whether you should unistall anything before diagnosing your BSOD, it would be up to you but what ever is causing it would most likely not be on the list (or not solve your problem if removed)

side note: it may be more convenient if you upload your images to something like photobucket and use "insert photo" forum feature.

Also i would download directx directly from microsoft only and I dont believe it would have an entry on the program list.

#3 Wang Yuan Ji

Wang Yuan Ji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:43 PM

Thanks for replying.

-

Currently, the BC Advisor and I are testing whether or not the graphic card's (NVIDIA GeForce GO 6150) driver is the cause of the BSOD's. We've uninstalled the driver (I'm on a laptop and the driver was not provided by HP) and installed the driver provided by HP. I've still received a couple of BSOD's afterwards but since then I haven't. I don't expect any of the programs in the list to be involved; I just thought it might be a good idea to keep everything on the computer the same as much as possible until the issue is solved but if that isn't actually necessary...

-

You're right. I'll go ahead and try to upload to images to photobucket then insert them in the post.

Edit: Can't use .jpg on this forum.

-

Is the following link where I should download DirectX 9 from? http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35

Is there a DirectX clean up utility I can run before I install?

Edited by Wang Yuan Ji, 26 June 2011 - 11:59 PM.

#4 imightbewrong

imightbewrong

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:01 AM

To be on the safe side go ahead and leave those programs on until you feel you have fixed your problems :)

I believe that is the correct update. The setup will tell you if it is the correct update or if one is even needed to begin with. I don't think there is a clean up utility as you may not need one because it will just update and replace old one.

#5 Wang Yuan Ji

Wang Yuan Ji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

My last attempt to install DirectX 9 must've been successful. I found out how to check what version of DirectX is currently installed on the computer as well as see all files related to DirectX (via DirectX Diagnostic Tool). The version specifies: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904). When I click on DirectX Files, under Notes, it says No problems found.

Edit: I performed all tests and checked all notes, and everything is okay except for the following:

DirectX Diagnostic Tool > Network Tab > Registered DirectPlay Service Providers:

Name: Internet TCP/IP Connection for DirectPlay
Registry: Error
File: Blank
Version: Blank

DirectX Diagnostic Tool > Network Tab > Registered Lobbyable Direct Applications:

Name: PuzzleBobble
Registry: Okay
File: PB.exe
Version: <File Missing>
GUID: {2B31ADA0-11D0-AA29-00A0C90D3D6C}

DirectX Diagnostic Tool > Network Tab > Notes:

- The registry information for the service provider 'Internet TCP/IP Connection For DirectPlay' is missing or damaged.
- You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version.

Edited by Wang Yuan Ji, 27 June 2011 - 12:29 AM.

#6 imightbewrong

imightbewrong

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:24 AM

Cool, then the source you have gotten your previous version must have been safe :) It might just be me but I usually fear other sources that provide what microsoft already provides on its official website for free.

I hope the advisor and you fix what ever issue is causing your BSOD :)

edit: hello you seem to have changed your post and added new information

Edit: I performed all tests and checked all notes, and everything is okay except for the following:

DirectX Diagnostic Tool > Network Tab > Registered DirectPlay Service Providers:

Name: Internet TCP/IP Connection for DirectPlay
Registry: Error
File: Blank
Version: Blank

DirectX Diagnostic Tool > Network Tab > Registered Lobbyable Direct Applications:

Name: PuzzleBobble
Registry: Okay
File: PB.exe
Version: <File Missing>
GUID: {2B31ADA0-11D0-AA29-00A0C90D3D6C}

DirectX Diagnostic Tool > Network Tab > Notes:

- The registry information for the service provider 'Internet TCP/IP Connection For DirectPlay' is missing or damaged.
- You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version.

PuzzleBobble is a game is it not? I don't believe it will cause a problem because it is missing a version description.

I am not familiar with directplay but is seems to be (if it is necessary) feature to help communicate with online play.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectPlay

i believe the report is nothing critical and your directx should be fine

Edited by imightbewrong, 27 June 2011 - 12:43 AM.

#7 Wang Yuan Ji

Wang Yuan Ji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:05 AM

-

Edited by Wang Yuan Ji, 27 June 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

OK, so what is the remaining question?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 Wang Yuan Ji

Wang Yuan Ji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:55 PM

I'm wondering which of the programs in the screenshots are safe to uninstall and which are not safe to uninstall.

Edit: I'm not familiar with some of the programs (e.g. Akamai NetSession Interface). Additionally, I'm not sure if it's okay to remove some of the other programs since I'm pretty sure they came pre-installed with the computer.

Edited by Wang Yuan Ji, 27 June 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:05 PM

That's a lot of work...
Are you dying for free hard drive space?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#11 Wang Yuan Ji

Wang Yuan Ji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:30 PM

I'd like to free up hard disk space to make room for other programs (Blender, MikuMikuDance, PMD Editor, System Animator and Windows sidebar etc..), increase performance and reduce scan time as well as make the computer more asethetically pleasing.

The main programs I use are:

Avast
Auslogics Disk Defrag (will be replace with Smart Defrag)
Zone Alarm (will be replaced with either PC Tools Firewall Plus or Online Armor free)
CDBurnerXP (will be replace with ImgBurn)
VLC media player
ERUNT
EMET (will be added)
Firefox Nightly
CCleaner
Desktop Hijack Fix (will be added)
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Hitman Pro
NoteTab Light
OpenOffice.org
Sandboxie
PDF-XChange Viewer (will be replaced with SumatraPDF)
Revo Uninstaller
PC Wizard 2010
Zune Desktop Theme
YVD (I rarely use it but I'd like to hold onto it for now anyway)

As long as it's safe, almost everything else can be removed.

Edit: Oh sorry, I misunderstood you. That's quite alright though (Take your time). We're still in the middle of diagnosing the BSOD's and I'd prefer to not do a lot of uninstalling and installing while doing so. I think it may be best to keep the computer the same as much as possible until the BSOD's have been resolved. Your help is greatly appreciated though.

Edited by Wang Yuan Ji, 27 June 2011 - 06:43 PM.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

I understand what you're saying, but you have to understand what I'm saying.
Reviewing a whole list of your installed programs is time consuming job.
Maybe on weekend...

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

I would get rid of these for sure:

1st Computer:
Audacity(unless your gonna play with audio)
HP Games (might get rid of all the pre-installed Games)
HP Game Console & Games
All Hoyle Entrys with DEMO on the end
HP Rhapsody
LAME v3.98.3 for Audacity(unless your gonna play with audio)
Office 2003 Trial Assistant
TourSetup
Yahoo Messenger (unless you use it)
Yahoo Toolbar

(Post another screen shot after this uninstall list, due to HP Games)

2nd Computer:
Yahoo Messenger (unless you use it)
Yahoo Toolbar

#14 Wang Yuan Ji

Wang Yuan Ji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:15 PM

Hi, thanks for replying.

I removed Audacity, LAME for Audacity, Office 2003 Trial Assistant, TourSetup, Yahoo Messenger, Yahoo Toolbar as well as all Hoyle entries with demo in their name. Before I remove HP Console and Games as well as HP Games, I would like your opinion regarding HP Rhapsody. HP Rhapsody's uninstaller is not working. I was going to remove all of HP Rhapsody's files and folders as well as registry entries, however, when the registry scan complete, it returned 397 results, many of which have no obvious way of identifying whether or not they indeed belong to HP Rhapsody. I was going to post a screenshot but for some reason FastStone Capture is not capturing a scrolling window.

Edit: Personally, I'm thinking save HP Rhapsody for last and use ERUNT to backup the registry before removing the registry entries displayed by Revo Uninstaller. That way, if anything goes wrong, I can just restore the registry.

Edit 2: I removed Auslogics Disk Defrag, CDBurnerXP and Google Chrome. Auslogics Disk Defrag and CDBurnerXP will be replaced with Smart Defrag and ImgBurn respectively. Google Chrome is staying gone. I dislike Google Chrome running 8 or 10 processes and even worse, combined, the processes leave a very heavy footprint. Firefox Nightly is only 32 MB, lighter, faster and has much better add-ons. A few of my add-ons didn't support Nightly, so I edited them and so there hasn't been any compatibility issues.

Edit 3: I found out what openCanvas4.5e Plus is; it's a graphic design software. A lot of people use it to draw and color detailed anime/manga characters. I must've installed it a while ago and forgot about it.

Edit 4: I forgot to add I removed SUPERAntiSpyware. It doesn't really serve a purpose. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Hitman Pro for fast scans is all I need.

Edited by Wang Yuan Ji, 27 June 2011 - 10:19 PM.

#15 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

When you finish uninstalling run CCleaner to get rid of any Crap then give it a Good Defrag a couple of times.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users