Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspected interference between Wireless Devices

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Quex

Quex

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

Hello, Lads and Ladies of Bleeping. I have yet another quandary to hone your brilliant skills upon (please oh please):

The Setup:

Machine is a Dell Dimension 8300 running Windows XP Pro, SP3. It connects to the internet via a Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter (WUSB54GC) directly connected to one of the USB ports in the back of the tower. This device, in turn, gets its signal from a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4Ghz Router, which is about 5 meters away from the PC tower, with only the seated user and an inch-wide panel of wood (tower is located in a desk hutch) in the way of the signal. When connected, signal strength is excellent.

The system is connected by wire to a pair of Altec Lansing speakers, a Samsung SyncMaster220WM monitor, and a Canon Pixma MX850 printer/scanner/fax machine. All three have been on the setup for 3+ years.
The system is wirelessly connected to a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 v2.0 and a Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000. These are recent additions to the sum setup, about 3 months old.

The History:

For well over two years, long before the addition of the wireless keyboard and mouse, the wireless USB adapter has caused one or both of two small bugs on startup: a network address error (with a string of zeros) or something directly related to WUSB54GC.exe. Sometimes the string-of-zeroes error appears twice in quick succession, one error box atop the other. I don't have the exact text of either at the moment, but I have found reports of other users facing the same or similar blips with the same model of adapter paired with WinXP systems. The primary user of our PC generally deals with these errors by just okaying/cancelling them away.

Once in a while, the system will then fail to connect to the Internet after a fresh startup -- this is easily resolved by Ctrl+Alt+Del > Task Manager > Processes, then finding and ending the process "WUSB54GC.exe". The same process reignites in seconds and the Internet connects very shortly thereafter.

The New Problem:

Access to the Internet is now dropping frequently and irregularly. This has been happening for perhaps a month to the present, but seems to be happening more and more often in the past two weeks. Oftentimes it drops after the user steps away from the machine for a short period, but there seems to be no correlation between the processes on the idle machine and it's tendency to drop or not drop (sometimes it's left long enough to go to the screensaver, sometimes not; sometimes it's left actively uploading or downloading, sometimes not). It has also dropped a few times with a user at the screen, in the middle of actively browsing the Internet. Strangely, long-term downloads and uploads (left unmonitored) seem to eventually complete, suggesting to me that the machine might be picking up the connection again several minutes after dropping it if no-one interferes.

Upon losing the connection with a user at the screen, the connection can usually be re-established by right clicking the wireless connection icon in the taskbar and selecting "repair" from the pop-up menu. (Primary user [my dad] reports that this is not ALWAYS the case, but he is likely forgetting where to find the "repair" option.)

Two other machines in the house (Dell Inspiron 15 laptop running Windows 7 and a MacBook Pro running 10.4) have no problems connecting (nor staying connected) via the same wireless signal.

Suspicions: <--- you can ignore this part

Could there be wireless interference between the Linksys adapter, mouse, and keyboard? If so, why did it not begin at the same time as these devices were initially connected? No other wireless device (phone, gaming, etc) have been introduced to the house in the past 3 months.

Is the Linksys adapter beginning to fail somehow? Driver upgrades and troubleshooting searches to solve the small startup errors have proven fruitless in the past...

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. ;_; Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 imightbewrong

imightbewrong

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:19 AM

Hello :)

Have you tried not using the adapter's default program and manually setting up the adapter to your windows network settings? I believe you can do this with most adapters.

Have you try resetting your router? you can reset it by typing 192.168.1.1 in your browser and selecting reset(if password is asked just leave blank or look in manual for default pass) hard resetting helps sometimes too. (find reset button and hold it down for a few seconds)

If you do reset, how often?

Hope this helps! If not please update!

I do not believe the mouse/keyboard could possibly be interfering.

#3 Quex

Quex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

manually setting up the adapter to your windows network settings

Hey, that's a good idea... Do you mean following Windows' "setup wizard" thingamajig (which I am loathe to ever use), or is there a more direct way?

Have you try resetting your router? you can reset it by typing 192.168.1.1 in your browser and selecting reset(if password is asked just leave blank or look in manual for default pass) hard resetting helps sometimes too. (find reset button and hold it down for a few seconds)

I have reset it via the button; very often, I think. At least once every two weeks. (Whenever the cords behind the whole wirey setup get jostled or switched, I hit the button for kicks.)
Didn't know the browser could send a reset command - that's cool. I'll try that right after I post. If it stops the problem, I'll be sure to note it here.

I do not believe the mouse/keyboard could possibly be interfering.

Well, the receiver for both is plugged into the USB port right beside the adapter. They are less than 1mm apart, case-to-case. I sure hope they aren't interfering, but that's been the culprit of many of my PC woes before. Wireless phones too close to the router and such.

In OTHER news, I caught one of the errors mentioned upon startup in the top post. It is the most common, and seems to appear one time at EVERY startup. Stored on GoogleDocs here.

#4 Quex

Quex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

Resetting the router did not solve the problem. Nice to know how to get into the controls, though. Thanks.

#5 Quex

Quex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

Okay, nobody? I know from previous stints in the malware forum that we're not supposed to bump out posts, but... no further ideas here? Anyone? Please? ;_;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users