Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difference in disk space between Safe Mode and Regular Mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Margarete

Margarete

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

This is a follow up to
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic403398.html

SweetTech just helped me clear out some malware and referred me to this forum when I ran into some interesting issues with Safe Mode:

1. I could not log into safe mode as administrator, it stalled at "getting personal settings". I am able to log on with as my regular user though.

2. In Safe Mode my C drive has 2 Gigs more of free space than in regular mode (is that normal? I though what's on the drive is on the drive no matter what mode I use...)

I have an HP Pavilion Laptop running WinXP SP3.

Many thanks for your input and advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

In Safe Mode my C drive has 2 Gigs more of free space than in regular mode

How are you reading this , or from what program.
I think this is only due to being in Safe Mode and in Safe mode you are not using all processes compared to Normal mode.

Is the first item an issue for you, then you could have asked S /Tech during her help.

Thank You -

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

No, the number of running processes has nothing to do with hard disk space. You can download and run treesize to see where the space is being used:
http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/

#4 Margarete

Margarete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:27 PM

Hi Allan,

Thank you for your quick response. That is exactly what I thought. I will download treesize and see if I can find the 2 Gigs. Any hints what I should be looking for?

@Noknojon. I am reading the size from the properties of the C-Drive in each mode. I just checked again and there definitely is a 2 Gig difference between Safe Mode and Regular Mode. That I cannot log on as administrator in Safe Mode is not an immediate issue, but I thought it was odd. SweetTech did not think this was malware related, which is why he referred me to this forum.

Thanks again!

#5 Margarete

Margarete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:12 PM

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the tip with Treesize. Apparently it is the hybernation file sitting on the C drive (hiberfil.sys). But I have no idea why this is not showing up in Save Mode. Is this normal?

Also, do you know why the admistrator logon in SafeMode could be stalling?

Thanks for your help!

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:56 AM

1) I don't know why hiberfil.sys does not show up in safe mode, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

2) Don't know. I do know that if the infection was truly serious I'm a fan of not messing around and just formatting and reinstalling the OS. I know that's a drastic step and it's one I rarely recommend, but there are just too many unknowns (at least from my perspective) when it comes to malware.

#7 Margarete

Margarete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

Thanks Allan,

I understand. I am considering reinstalling the OS, but due to work requirements cannot do it right now. One more question, I have been trying to defragment my C drive but even though I freed up about 20%, it does not really work. There are tons of files that won't defragment. Any tips on how to defragment those files? Thanks!

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:41 AM

Download a trial version of Perfect Disk and see if that works for you (http://www.raxco.com/products/home-perfectdisk12-professional/free-trial)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users