Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email Address Book

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bebeaz

bebeaz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

It appears that my address book was 'hacked" last night. Emails were sent from my address to all of the contacts on the list. The email had no subject and simply included a link. I have alerted the entire contact list and suggested they not click on the link and delete the message. Many have responded with thanks.

Thus far I have run a Norton scan with only five cookies detected and no viruses. I have also downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-malware and run both a quick scan and a full scan. No issues were found. What should be my next step?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

Hello babeaz

Change your Email password.

Are you on a router and are other machines on it to?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 bebeaz

bebeaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:08 PM

Thank you for the response. On the advice of another who was similarly "hacked", I changed the email pass word two days ago. To answer your router question, we do have one so that our Aspire Notebook can access the internet.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:08 AM

Hello,looks like you were Spoofed. Having changed the password you should be fine now. As the other machine is not affected,we are good to go.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 bebeaz

bebeaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:32 PM

Thank you for your input. This site generally, and your input specifically, have been very helpful... bebeaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users