Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing File Path

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

how can I get Linux to save my documents in a different partition? I used to do this in Windows by simply right click on My Documents >> Properties then change the target (let's say from C:/ to D:/)

Thanks in advance!
Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:38 AM

That's going to depend on what you're using. Or maybe not.

Did you look in the preferences for the program that needs to be redirected for a way to change the save location?

If you simply want it saved to another place, you can do that with a simlink:

ln -s <new_location> <old_location>

For instance, say the program saves it to Documents and you want it saved to external_drive. Open a terminal and type:

ln -s /external_drive ~/Documents

(Note that you would have to remove Documents in your home directory before doing this)

Once done, the program would still be saving files to Documents, but they would actually reside on /external_drive.

To be successful, you'd have to make sure you have write permissions to /external_drive. Otherwise you'll get errors and nothing will be saved.

If you wanted it to all stay in your own home directory, you could do it this way. Say you wanted it to be saved in a directory called papers in your home directory:

ln -s Documents papers

That would leave Documents alone and create a simlink to papers. Or you could reverse it if you got rid of Documents first and created papers before issuing the command.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

Create a separate home partition in Ubuntu
Create a separate home partition in Ubuntu
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users