Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet service for rural area

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 noonytunes

noonytunes

• Members
  • 666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hi. I am moving to a rural area where cable and landline phone service are not available. I just bought a new computer, that is still in the box, and I prefer not to enter into a satellite internet service contract. My computer is a Gateway SX2803-25E desktop with monitor HX2001L BMD. I read somewhere that there may be wireless service to tap into. I have a wireless router. I'm a tech dummy and I want to know what my options are.
noonytunes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:48 PM

You'll need to ask your neighbors what they use to see if it's a local WISP you can get service through.

If it's not, your only options are 3G/4G (if available) and satellite.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

Where about are you moving to? I am very familiar with the 4 corner region, as I grew up in Farmington/Gallup/Bloomfield area, and used to work for an ISP that serviced that area.

#4 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

I live in a rural area such as you're describing. I have tried dialup, ISDN, satellite, cellular and WISP (essentially long range wifi). Of all the services I listed, WISP is the best but it's also the most expensive. I currently pay $160/month for a 1.5M connection. I work from home so, fortunately, my employer reimburses me for that cost. If my employer didn't reimburse me I couldn't justify the cost. Pricing is tiered so if you opt for a slower connection you should be able to find something less expensive. I think my provider charges about $70/month for a 700K connection.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#5 noonytunes

noonytunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 666 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hi Cryptodan! I'm moving to a place that is off a County Rd about 6 miles north of the City of Aztec.
noonytunes

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

PM me the address, I am sure that they offer landline service if not by Qwest, but by CentryTel.

#7 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

I live in a rural area such as you're describing. I have tried dialup, ISDN, satellite, cellular and WISP (essentially long range wifi). Of all the services I listed, WISP is the best but it's also the most expensive. I currently pay $160/month for a 1.5M connection. I work from home so, fortunately, my employer reimburses me for that cost. If my employer didn't reimburse me I couldn't justify the cost. Pricing is tiered so if you opt for a slower connection you should be able to find something less expensive. I think my provider charges about $70/month for a 700K connection.

YEOW! Strolln, that's a poke in the wallet ! I work with multiple WISPs in rural Southern Oregon and the going rate is about $40/Month for 3-5Mbps bi-directional. And yes, you really can get the advertised speed, or very close to it, the vast majority of the time. Somebody must be the only game in town...

Noony, your wireless router will need some help to talk to a WISP just like it would to talk to a DSL or Cable provider. The WISP will usually install an outdoor antenna and radio, something between the size of a pack of cigarettes and a BBQ grill depending on range and frequency band, with a Cat 5 wire carrying the signal and power from an inside location that your existing wireless router will connect to. Your router will provide wireless to your house. Their system covers a huge area but at much lower power levels, your laptop or indoor router usually won't be able to even see it unless you are very close.

#8 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

YEOW! Strolln, that's a poke in the wallet ! I work with multiple WISPs in rural Southern Oregon and the going rate is about $40/Month for 3-5Mbps bi-directional. And yes, you really can get the advertised speed, or very close to it, the vast majority of the time. Somebody must be the only game in town... ...

Tell me about it! Like I said, if my employer wasn't reimbursing me that cost I couldn't justify it.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users