Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post-spyaxe Smitrem Scanner Malfunction

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 amateurgeek

amateurgeek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:25 PM

Hi, I'm new here, but I found the excellent Spyaxe remover smitRem on this site, which successfully removed that nightmare. But now I can't scan (with my Dell A940) though I can print. I think maybe either the virus, the remedy, or something else I did (I was trying to muck around the registry using Hijack this, and might have overdone it) created an orphan. Can anyone give me any suggestions (more like step by step hand holding assistance, I am a true amateur) other than "re-instal your OS," which is what Dell tech support suggested? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jubo

Jubo

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:06 AM

To make sure you could run an online scan at: Windows Live Safety Center.

By "scan" you mean scanning with your scanner; not just a virus scan? Can you uninstall and reinstall the scanner software?

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:58 AM

You can open HiJack This and go to the Config button and then to Backups to restore a backup to see if that is your problem.

Re-installing the scanner is probably the easiest solution though.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 weiming

weiming

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

My situation is that after removing SpyFalcon using SitRem and Ewido, the Norton Anti-virus 2005 would not work normally.

Anyway, Norton did not stop SpyFalcon at the first place, and then failed to detect it during the scan. I will see if I can fix the problem. If not, perhaps I should switch to a different product.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:25 PM

Norton is a resource hog anyway, and replacing it with AVG would probably be a good idea, and besides, AVG is freeware.

Uninstall and then reinstall your scanner/printer.

Switch to AVG if you wish. (I personally use AVG).

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:06 AM

But now I can't scan (with my Dell A940) though I can print.

Try this: Start > My Computer
Do you see your scanner listed there? If so double click on it, and a dialog box should open. Choose Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard. See if you can scan using that software. If you can then you have a problem with the Dell scanner software.

Another idea. Start > My Computer right click on your scanner, choose properties. There should be a 'test scanner' button. Try that and see what it says.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users