Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Goggle blog and go.daddy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 opleaserespond2me

opleaserespond2me

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:34 AM

Hi :bowdown:

Really appreciate any advise- I was going to register a blog on goggle and then register a domain with go daddy for only 10.00 through the goggle blog option to link a web domain to the blog. I do not understand if this site is actually owned by me or if Goggle will own all the content, domain name etc. I want to eventually start a small business where I will be selling a product I'm developing plus some other products related to the one I'm developing. I need the website to feature my professional services, the blog, and the shopping line of goods which will be marketed to my professional contacts. I would like to have options for adding numerous pages of information related to my profession and the clients I serve. Am I wrong to start this project out with Goggle?? Where should I be going? Much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

You pay for the right to use a domain name for a period of time. You do not actually own it. As far as website content, you own that (mostly). There are some exceptions to that, depending on your hosting company. You would actually have to read the terms and services contact to determine the guidelines for a particular host.

My best advice to you, given your current level of how things work on the web is to hire someone to to do this for you. Or prepare to spend a lot of time doing research, especially if you are talking about rolling your own website. Check and see if there is a local university that may have some students willing to do some work for you.

#3 opleaserespond2me

opleaserespond2me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

Thanks so much for responding. I actually do live next to a University, and I think I will look into the possibility of getting help there. One thing I would like to do is get my domain name secured. It is a good name which is now available, and I'm afraid it will be requested by someone else soon. It is a niche not yet being targeted in my profession. How or where should I do this at without causing myself difficulties with transferring it in the future? If that is even a concern. lol :busy:

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

It is not a concern. Go to godaddy and get the domain. It will automatically remain 'parked' with Godaddy until you need to use it. Once you have someone that can help you, they will be able to help you register the domain with wherever you chose to host your website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users