Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not install Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 2xline

2xline

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

I stated in another post that my XP Pro computer is royally screwed up from virus attack. It operates but so much seems not to.
So I did get another DVD drive installed. It seems to work, but hardware installer starts every time computer boots up and tries to install CD Rom drive again. Giving software Logo has not passed and asking for XP pro SP3 disk. I do not have the install disk, if I did I would just reinstall XP.

I changed boot order and placed Live CD with Ubuntu in drive. Looked like it was going, page of text like 9.500016 [<c1509bf4>] ? syscall_+0x7/0xb. Next line was panic occurred switching back to text console; then process stopped.
Can screwed Windows prevent install?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

Sounds like a ram or power problem. Double check the ram (that's the easiest) with memtest, by taking a stick out at a time, by swapping it with ram in other machines, or any other way you can to test it. Sometimes simply reseating it cures problems like that. But it's usually either bad ram or a problem with power into or out of the supply.

It could also be other cables, even if it's less likely. Try reseating all drive and power cables.

#3 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

A couple of questions for clarification -

Are you saying that the live cd wont load into RAM, or, it loads ok but just wont install?

Are you using a WUBI install or installing it alongside Windows?

Are you sure the live cd is ok? If it just wont load into RAM, is there another machine you could try it on?

I'm just following along on this thread, and wanted to make sure I understand everything :thumbup2:

#4 2xline

2xline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

Not sure what is happening, boot up to XP, and place CD in tray. Ubuntu screen appears with 3 options/buttons. Demo/install, install like windows program or learn more.
Pressed Demo install, next screen said leave CD in and reboot. Rebooted, text flashed at top of screen, then I saw white rectangular emblem = stick man in a circle. This went away and small blinking square appeared at top of screen and I waited several minutes nothing happened.

Before I have rebooted and page a code appeared last line on page was - 9.50016 panic occurred, switching back to text console. Then nothing, system stopped.

I have another machine I am working with now but do not want to run Ubuntu on it.

#5 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

Do you want to keep XP? It sounds like you're trying to install Ubuntu within it, which is possible, but you mentioned that you have problems with your XP installation anyway.

If you want to have Ubuntu exclusively on the computer, you will need to boot from the Ubuntu CD that you've downloaded. You may have to change the setting in Bios to allow for booting from the CD. From there you can either try Ubuntu or go ahead and install it. If you opt to 'try' you can still install from there anyway. Ubuntu is relatively easy to install, especially if you are going to overwrite XP.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

Edited by mrfingerz, 26 June 2011 - 03:43 PM.

It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#6 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

2xline - sounds like what mrfingers alluded to - it's trying to do a Wubi install. Did you try putting the cd in, shutting off your computer and letting it boot fresh from the cd?

Be sure and check the information stiltskin provided.

As far as trying the cd in another machine, the live cd loads totally into RAM, and doesn't affect the machine at all, unless you do an install.

#7 2xline

2xline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

Virus left XP machine crippled, windows not updating, windows installer, system restore, firewall are not working. I have Firefox that will connect to web, but I do have any protection. I wanted to salvage machine, one of few things I have of my late brother.
I am like a man who is afraid to walk on a frozen pond; it may or may not hold my weight. Right now pc sort of works, but I want to try other OS before I went ice skating.

I am going to do memory test on sick PC. I do not have blank CD to burn that test image to today.

Edited by 2xline, 26 June 2011 - 03:50 PM.

#8 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

That's one of the good things about Ubuntu, you can try it and see how you get on. It takes some getting used to but there is so much help available to help with any problems that you may encounter.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users