Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix changes folder attributes to hidden

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 AllenRisler

AllenRisler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:10 AM

I have been using ComboFix for several months with no problems. It has been a real life saver at times.
The last view times I used it I noticed that it changed all of the users Documents and Settings to hidden and read only, which has not been to hard to fix, folder, attributes, uncheck hidden, uncheck read only, apply to all files and subfolders.
The last time it used Combo Fix, it did this to the entire C: Drive. I first noticed the problem when I clicked on start, programs, and no programs where showing. Then I noticed that my hard drive capacity had almost no free space. I starting looking for stuff to delete, and found a new CombiFix folder at the root of C:. When I double-clicked on it, I saw the same thing you see when you click on My Computer, so I double-clicked on C:\ComboFix and found that it repeats over and over until it used up all the hard drive capacity.

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:19 AM

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. When issues arise with new malware infections or other security tools conflicting with ComboFix, experts are aware of them and can advise users what should or should not be done while providing assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

What specific issues are you having that requires using ComboFix?

Compliments of QuietMan7

So with that said, Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

#3 AllenRisler

AllenRisler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

No that was totally not helpful.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

Hello AllenRisler.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I have contacted the developer and someone will get back with you shortly with further instructions.

For the time being, please minimize any changes you make to the machine.

Thank you,

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:24 PM

Hello AllenRisler,

Please delete any copies of ComboFix currently on your machine (right click and select Delete); then download a new one from Here

VERY IMPORTANT: Disable all running antivirus, antimalware and firewall programs as they may interfere with the proper running of ComboFix. Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. NOTE: This list is not all-inclusive. If yours is not listed and you do not know how to disable it, please ask.

Please double click Combofix.exe and follow the onscreen prompts.

When finished, it will produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine by running ComboFix on your own.
This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.
ComboFix SHOULD NOT be used unless requested by a forum helper

~Blade

In your next reply, please include the following:
ComboFix log

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#6 AllenRisler

AllenRisler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:35 AM

I deleted C:\ComboFix\C:\ComboFix\C:\ComboFix\C:\ComboFix\C:\ComboFix\C:\ComboFix\C:\ComboFix\...
As a first time poster, I was simply providing my usage feedback.
I have no further issue.
Thank you, Blade, for your kind reply.
Please send my regards to the animal with my assurances that I probably won't use ComboFix,
nor recommend it to my friends as I have in the past.

#7 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

Ah, I see.

It was my pleasure. :thumbup2:

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed.

~Blade

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users