Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Xp On Another Machine ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:03 PM

After installing WindowsXP Home edition (OEM CD) on one computer, I realize that the CD is linked to that computer. But, is it possible to uninstall from that computer and then install on another? Will MS permit this, and how do I go about it?
Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

Yes, one PC and a backup CD is what that EULA agreement basically allows.
So, uninstalling it to place an OS on another machine will qualify as legit.

Using it as the OS on two different PCs simultaneously will lead to
detection at windows update as one (or both) not in compliance
with the user agreement regarding their product.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 BlueGrass

BlueGrass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:32 PM

Thanks phawgg

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:45 PM

Just to help clarify a bit further as it was explained to me: The OEM / Retail thingy

There are 2 scenarios one won't and one will: OEM (linked won't) Retail (will)

IF The copy of XP you have is an 'OEM' one, sold with some item
of hardware and marked as 'For supply only with a new compuiter' or
similar wording. These are cheaper, but licensed solely to the machine
where initially installed. They may not be transferred on.

++++++
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx

Another common misconception is that you can transfer a preinstalled or OEM copy of Windows from an "old" machine to a new machine. An OEM software license

may not be transferred from and old machine to a new machine—even if that machine is no longer in use. The OEM license is tied to the machine on which it was

originally installed and can't be transferred to other machines.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

IF If it is a retail copy (came in box from a computer store, either an
Upgrade one or a 'Full' one, 'for machines without Windows or with
Windows 95'). These can be transferred freely, as long as only
activated on one machine at any time. You just install on the new
machine and remove from the old before it comes to activation. If it
is then more than 120 days since you last did it, you will find it will
go through on the net just like first time. If not, you will have to
phone a toll-free number that will be given, to explain and swap one
long number for another to check back as you type it in

+++++++
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

How long does this go on?
The license for a retail version of Windows XP is in perpetuity. You get to use Windows XP forever, if you choose.

But Microsoft recognises that machines do get upgraded. If, following the activation after setup, you do not need to contact the activation center for 120 days (any

changes you make during this time being seen as acceptable when the system boots), then the sheet is swept clean and you can start again using the current hardware

as the new baseline to make more changes.

Edited by boopme, 09 January 2006 - 11:55 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:07 AM

Very thorough, boopme, and I appreciate your work to clarify the issue. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 BlueGrass

BlueGrass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:28 AM

Okay. Got it straight now. I had purchased a barebones kit, mobo, processor, case & power supply. Had the other parts laying around. I never read the sticker on The CD package, but it does say " This OEM software may not be delivered unless accompanied be the required hardware...." so apparently I can change components on the computer I installed it on, but I can't install it on another machine.

I have another computer, an Emachines that came with WinXP Home installed and a restore CD. Since I have broadband, I gave the Win modem to my daughter who needed one. I later discovered that I could not do a restore because the modem was missing, and had to get it back.

I'm not advocating the bootlegging of software, but things have gone too far with MS and the computer manufacturers. A friend just bought a new Dell, and she didn't get restore CD's nor will Dell send her any. If her hard drive takes a dump, I guess she'll have to ship it back to Dell.

Thanks for the help.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:19 AM

Just a little more clarification:

so apparently I can change components on the computer I installed it on, but I can't install it on another machine.

Correct. Xp assigns a value to many of your computer's components and checks on start up if the same components exist. If there have been changes it may still be ok, it depends on what and how many changes have been made and how often. If 'too many' changes have been made in too short a time period then XP doesn't know for sure if it is still on the same machine or a different machine and re-activation may be required, which will require a phone call to MS. More detail on this can be found HERE. Pretty far down that page you will find details of this arrangement.

A friend just bought a new Dell, and she didn't get restore CD's nor will Dell send her any. If her hard drive takes a dump, I guess she'll have to ship it back to Dell.

Not neccesarily. Some computers now come with the info needed for restoring on a 'hidden' partition on the hard drive. You are allowed to burn this info onto disks one time. If she has problems and needs to reinstall Windows, then she probably has an option to do so from this hidden partition (usally F10 at boot up). Or if there is a problem with the hard drive itself she can then use her disks that she has prepared herself to install XP on a new hard drive.

Another option is to use any OEM disk to reninstall the Operating System. It is the Product Key that is the important thing here. MS is selling Product Keys. Most Techs will have an OEM disk that can be used, but then will need her original Product Key for activation.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 BlueGrass

BlueGrass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:37 AM

Re burning a restore CD on the dell: I have seen, on Dell's site, the procedure for doing so. However, the site clains that this feature applies only to machines shipped prior to July 2005, and she purchased after that date. I intend to try to do this next time I get to see her.

Re using an OEM CD: Then, I gather that I could reinstall her OS from my OEM CD using her product key ?? If this is so, why couldn't I use my OEM CD to install WinXp on my other computer using that Computer's product code? I'm confused here.

Edited by BlueGrass, 10 January 2006 - 11:49 AM.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:55 PM

Then, I gather that I could reinstall her OS from my OEM CD using her product key

That is probably possible, yes. If your OEM CD is not tied to any brand such as HP or Gateway etc. If it is a Microsoft OEM version of XP it probably will work. But you must use her Product Key as it belongs to that computer.

Your original question was, 'can i uninstall the operating system from one computer and reinstall it in another using the same product key' and that answer is no. Different product keys for each machine are needed.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 BlueGrass

BlueGrass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:51 PM

Then, I gather that I could reinstall her OS from my OEM CD using her product key

That is probably possible, yes. If your OEM CD is not tied to any brand such as HP or Gateway etc. If it is a Microsoft OEM version of XP it probably will work. But you must use her Product Key as it belongs to that computer.

I just used my OEM Cd (not tied to any computer) and tried to install on an Emachines computer I have. Installation went ok until entry of the product code. I used the Code from the sticker on the Emachines, and it aborted with an error. Obviously, the product key resides on the CD and it didn't match. I guess if my friend's hard drive goes south, she'll have to buy a retail WinXP. On the other hand, I could just install Linux on her machine for free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users