Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hopefully. for you this is easy. For me....!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:44 AM

Last year I had a PC built for me and, although I had tried to research all the components I completely forgot to ask for wireless facility. (To be honest I "assumed" my new PC would come complete with a wireless facility).

Until then my Medion (Windows XP/Wireless/Netgear router) had given five years excellent, trouble-free use.

I like my new PC with Local Area Connection as speed is faster and I've been told, is more secure. (I live in a former back area so the slightest increase in speed is welcome).

This PC is mine and is used upstairs next to the main phone connection.

Downstairs my old Medion is still going strong and is used by Grandson via a wireless adapter.

Last week, however,I had Internet connection trouble and could not get on line. My server suggested a new (free) router and this has settled the connection problem.

However I have now lost the means of connecting wirelessly to the Medion PC. I have a booklet with instructions how to set up a wireless connection with my new PC BUT this assumes I have a wireless facility, and I don't.

Although I have been on line since 1998 I am useless with hardware! I am sure you will point out that I am being stupid as I can't work out how to get round this problem, but I really would appreciate your help.

I also have a Kindle which, of course, now has lost its wireless connection!

Windows 7
Internet Explorer 9
Aviva AntiVirus Personal
Zone Alarm
MalwareBytes AntiMalware
Super AntiSpyware Professional.
Scotty

My THANKS IN ADVANCE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

What exactly are you asking? Advice on what type of Wireless Adapter to get? Or another method to get connectivity to your upstairs machine?

BT
-BrendanT

#3 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

Thank you, Brendan, for your posting.

I want wireless connection downstairs only. I have a CD which, if I used, would enable me to do so, I think. The Medion downstairs runs Windows XP ; my own PC has Windows 7. Do I use the CD in my Medion ( seems obvious?)

I don't want to mess things up. I really need a push in the right direction.!

#4 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:22 PM

Hi Reena,

From the sounds of it, your old router had wireless capability. Does the new one ? If it does, you may need to set up the wireless network in the router. That consists primarily of setting the SSID (The Network Name that shows up when you go to "Connect to Wireless Networks") and Wireless Security, which you usually want to set to "WPA2 Personal" with a passphrase of 8 to 63 characters. The passphrase can include spaces, punctuation, and numbers. You will only use it once for each device that connects, so I have my clients write it on a Post-It on piece of tape on the bottom of their wireless router for future reference. (If you can get physical access to the router the password isn't going to stop anyone.) Once that is done you will need to delete the old profile on your computer if you re-used the old network name. Then search for wireless networks from each device, connect, and give the dialog that pops up the passphrase. The specific instructions will change depending on the make and model of router, but there is usually a setup wizard.

If your new router does not have wireless you will need to add a wireless access point to your network. It's possible to do this by adding wireless to your PC and using connection sharing, but a better way is to purchase a wireless access point. This is basically the wireless half of a wireless router, without the router and usually without the 4 port ethernet switch that the routers usually have, and with a higher price tag. It will connect with an Ethernet cable to your wired router and spread Wireless LAN-ness throughout your home. It will need to be set up nearly identically to the way the router would be, from a wireless standpoint. Let me know if you need help finding or setting up one of these.

#5 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:04 AM

THANK YOU, Orecomm, for your detailed reply.

Upstairs I have a router that works and I have an Ethernet connection to my new PC. (Local Area Connection).

On this PC I have a Home Network to the PC downstairs. This has wireless access (I also have a separate wireless adapter I could use, if needed.)

I do click on Home Network if i have two PC's I am trying to use, don't I?

For some reason I cannot access my wireless set-up on the downstairs PC. I can access my neighbour's !!(i.e I know when he is on line).

I think the SETTINGS might be at fault, probably because I have tried every way to solve this problem. Actually I got so fed up I decided to do without Internet connection downstairs and let my grandson use the PC for disk-games and myself for storing photographs. However, I have a Kindle and, although I have set up all details of my new wireless router connection on this I cannot access my connection. I thus cannot download books!

I think a call to my server is needed, don't you?

My THANKS again.

#6 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

OK, it sounds like your new router has wireless as well, but your downstairs PC and Kindle aren't connecting to it wirelessly. Home Network is a function that uses the network connection once it is established to provide file sharing and such. It doesn't set up the connection itself. Can you tell us what kind of router you have ? Make and model if you can. Then I can walk you through setting up the important bits there. We need to know how it is set up and the passphrase before trying to connect the other devices.

#7 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Orecomm : I contacted my server and they have been able to sort me out.

My THANKS to you and to BrendanT for replying to my post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users