Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

uTorrent / BitTorrent Sued For Patent...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:27 AM

BitTorrent Inc., the makers of uTorrent and the BitTorrent Mainline client, have been sued for infringement of a file-sharing related patent. According to the complaint, the BitTorrent clients infringe on the rights of San Francisco-based company Tranz-Send Broadcasting Network. The company demands compensation and if the court agrees, this case could have a disastrous impact on the BitTorrent landscape.

Above quote taken from an article by Ernesto dated 6/19/2011 titled uTorrent / BitTorrent Sued For Patent Infringement Click the link for the entire article.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:34 PM

Is it illegal, at this point in time, to be using utorrent?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

Depends on what it is your downloading, Linux *.iso files, Creative Commons Free Distribution Works,etc. you're good. Other things.... this is where opinion and politics play into the formula.

Posted Image

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:18 AM

Its funny, but the law does not take in to account feelings, it is just Law. Thats my problem with people in the system these days, they give out different punishment to the same crime depending on the mood of the case. I honestly wonder what would happen if they let Computer Logic dictate sentencing.

Input = Murder -- Output = Punishment 1
Input = Rape -- Output = Punishment 2

And so on.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

Is it illegal, at this point in time, to be using utorrent?

Piracy is illegal (violates copyrights, etc.), but the protocol itself is useful for distributing larges amounts of data over a network and is good for the reasons BlackSpyder pointed out.

That being said, I just avoid torrents altogether due to the controversy and "grey" areas.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:02 PM

I use it a lot-usually for downloading large files such as linux distributions and the like, I find it a very useful tool. Utorrent, like limewire, i dont think theres anything wrong with them-they are just tools to enable easier downloading of large files. The problem, is what the people use them for. they ought to be going after the people pirating, not the people who made the program. It seems to me, a lot of the major pirating sites-I know one in particular that is extremely popular that im not going to mention (anyone who pirates, or who knows anything about how to get around the web probably knows it anyway) has been operating for years, makes no attempt to hide what its doing, and it seems to me it would be fairly easy to shut down if any form of government/justice system actually wanted to do it. Its better to go after the source, not the tools.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

You can't ban hammers just because people break into cars with them.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

I use it a lot-usually for downloading large files such as linux distributions and the like, I find it a very useful tool. Utorrent, like limewire, i dont think theres anything wrong with them-they are just tools to enable easier downloading of large files. The problem, is what the people use them for. they ought to be going after the people pirating, not the people who made the program. It seems to me, a lot of the major pirating sites-I know one in particular that is extremely popular that im not going to mention (anyone who pirates, or who knows anything about how to get around the web probably knows it anyway) has been operating for years, makes no attempt to hide what its doing, and it seems to me it would be fairly easy to shut down if any form of government/justice system actually wanted to do it. Its better to go after the source, not the tools.

I think i know who you are talking about.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:39 PM

I used to use it all the time too for various things, but I quit once I got my server.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users