Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toolbar Missing Items

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sweets

sweets

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:01 AM

Hi,
I don't have to "File" Menu and other items in the top left corner of my toolbar any more from which I can print & save from thew drop down menu any longer. Don't know how it went away. Can you tell me how to get it back?
Thanks

Windows XP Home version 2002

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:39 AM

What program is this happening in? Try pressing the ALT button on your keyboard. Many new or updated versions of programs don't show the menubar by default (or can be configured to hide it); the ALT key is the standard key to invoke the menubar.

#3 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:44 AM

I believe that every page I open has the File Edit View etc missing from the top, how can I permanently get them to appear once again?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:57 AM

What program is it? Internet Explorer?

#5 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:49 AM

yes internet explorer

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:28 AM

1) Press the F 10 key. When the menu bar appears, RIGHT click in a empty spot next to the last thing listed. Click Menu bar to lock it in place.

2) Next click Command Bar for the bottom bar with Tools on it.

3) If you have the Command Bar, click Tools, choose Toolbars and then click Menu Bar.

OR right click in an empty space at the top, choose Menu Bar.

If you have no empty space, point your cursor to a thin sliver underneath the address bar and right click.
If you use IE9, the space between the end of the address bar and home icon will work. In the screenshot the arrow is pointing to the thin sliver below the address bar, this is where you will need to right click.

Posted Image

#7 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

1) Press the F 10 key. When the menu bar appears, RIGHT click in a empty spot next to the last thing listed. Click Menu bar to lock it in place.

2) Next click Command Bar for the bottom bar with Tools on it.

3) If you have the Command Bar, click Tools, choose Toolbars and then click Menu Bar.

OR right click in an empty space at the top, choose Menu Bar.

If you have no empty space, point your cursor to a thin sliver underneath the address bar and right click.
If you use IE9, the space between the end of the address bar and home icon will work. In the screenshot the arrow is pointing to the thin sliver below the address bar, this is where you will need to right click.

Posted Image

#8 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:00 AM

Well that last post worked perfectly thank you i was able to get back a bar with "File Edit View Favorites Tools and Help".
But now I have 3 bars on top, the last bar has icons for home RSS feeds which I dont know what it is and dont think I need, Mail Print, plus the words Page Safety Tools (duplicate) and a question mark. There is also on the left a duplication of Favorites
Is there any way I can eliminate things like RSS feeds (what is it anyway). I'd really like to move the icons for Home Mai Print up to the 2nd bar and eliminate the third bar entirely. Can I get rid of the dupicates Favorites & Tools? Thanks

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

You can get rid of the 3rd bar completely by right clicking in an empty space and unchecking it.

OR you could RIGHT click in the empty space, click Customize, then remove any icons you don't want in the command bar.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to add Home Mail Print to the Menu Bar (file, edit, view, favorites, tools, help). Nor is there a way to remove commands from the menu bar. To have those icons, you will need to keep the command bar.

If you have the Favorites Bar checked, you can uncheck it to get rid of that toolbar.

#10 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

Well I should not get rid of the entire third bar if I can't move everything up to the second one. However under "Customize..Add or Remove Commands" I did not see "Favorites" so I guess I have to live with Favorites twice, or do I?
Thanks

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

If there is no way to remove it, then yes you have to live with having it twice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users