Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Felony For Refreshing A Web Page?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

Felony For Refreshing a Web Page?[/size]
Posted by Zonk on Friday January 06, @05:15PM
from the dangerous-pixelantes dept.
therandomw writes "An 18 year-old boy was recently arrested in Ohio for telling fellow students to refresh the schools web page in order to slow down the server. He is being charged with a felony and is currently being held in jail. According to Canton City Prosecutor Frank Forchione 'This new technology has created a whole wave of crimes, and we're just trying to find ways to solve them.'"

Also further down the page if you read the comments. :thumbsup:

Please show damages
(Score:5, Funny)
by jnaujok (804613) on Friday January 06, @06:59PM (#14413465)

Excuse me for pointing this out, but where exactly are the damages that relate to this felony. If this kid finds a lawyer with even an ounce of brains, the court case should last thirty seconds.

Lawyer: Why do you have a web site?

School: So the public can access it.

Lawyer: So, is the same machine running it today?

School: Yes.

Lawyer: Does it run on the same connection?

Lawyer: And it runs the same software, with the same data?

Lawyer: So, in fact, nothing was erased or altered on the machine in any way? Correct?

Lawyer: Did your service provider charge you with any extra fees?

School: No.

Lawyer: So, apart from a handful of extra traffic, which you admit slowed down but did not stop, damage, or destroy hardware, software, or data, and which did not cost you any extra money, you had not other damages?

School: Uhm, well, I guess that's correct.

Lawyer: Tell me, do you sue the driver in front of you if he slows down, or charge the slow walking grandmother holding up the line with a felony?

School: Uhm, no.

Lawyer: Tell me, if all the phone lines are in use at the school because people are calling them, is that a felony? Are prank calls a felony?

School: Er, no.

Lawyer: So, your basis for the "damage" in this case is that a student basically asked his friends to "call-up" the computer until you had a busy signal.

Lawyer: In fact, your entire web site listed less than 900 hits before it was Slashdotted into oblivion. Tell me, have you started legal proceedings against the news agency that took the story national, or Zonk for posting it on Slashdot?

School: Erm, no.

Lawyer: So, you're only willing to harrass young children? To send a child to prison for what amounts to no more than a phone call where they hang up? Is that what you feel is acceptable? Is that, in fact, what you view as teaching our children?

School: Er, do I have to answer that?

Lawyer: Well, you are making me wait, keeping me busy, I might have to file a felony suit against you for that...

btw: This is not too far away from me. This is in Cleveland, Ohio area. Only in Ohio...

Edited by yano, 09 January 2006 - 09:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:05 AM

Too much...I used to live in Ky., and this reminds me of the typical legal mindset of the court system I grew up with. A felony...it reminds me of the 60s when they tried to make possession of marijuana a felony, "a new threat...let's crush it before it gets out of hand". :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:43 AM

ok maybe it just me but thats stupid. on both parts the school and the kid. there had to be a better way to make the school website go down. you know like using public computers? duh! never leave a track!!! no phone records, no Static IP addresses, no tire marks, the list goes on and on for the rules of HS pranking (I thought these were givens?). Oh well just another reason to call Ohio a Cummunist country (on top of their 55 MPH speed limit and no tolerance laws on speeding)(come on 56 in a 55 and your writing me a ticket the fines not gonna pay for the paper to write the ticket)

Posted Image

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:50 AM

Eh... Ohio's turnpike has 65mph. :nod:

Also they do allow you to go up to 5 over, they are lenient, just depends on what city you are in. Like the city I live in is lenient, however if you go to our niehgobrs, they are strict!

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:46 AM

I didn't know you lived in Lenient, Yano.

Actually, this article, and many more of a similar nature, indicates that our laws are out of date when applied to Internet use and abuse (or when applied to digital media copywrites, for that matter).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:23 AM

In many cases our local legal systems are left without a precident in how to deal with the new cyber crimes, the legislature by and large is not educated well enough on the subject to create effcetive and or just laws adressing these type of crimes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:36 PM

I didn't know you lived in Lenient, Yano.

:thumbsup:

You know what I mean. :flowers: :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users