Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken IE8

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dahlilah

dahlilah

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:57 AM

I hope this is the right forum to post this.
My IE8 isn't working properly, here are my problems/symptoms with Internet Explorer:

1. Tools icon, Home icon and others alike are missing from the top tool bar.
2. File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Help, Internet Options are all missing from top tool bar (I can't access into any of those if the tool bar doesn't exist)
3. Links on webpages for downloads will not work.
4. Can't delete/clear History, can't cut,copy,paste, print from a webpage.
5. On the bottom progress loading bar of internet pages I have a tiny white page icon with a red circle and a white X in it.
6. The Internet Explorer icon is no longer on my desktop, but I do have the symbol on the bottonm bar (near the Start button).When I click on that icon, the IE is opened, but there is not any text on the top bar to tell me which webpage I am viewing. And there's also no text on the tabs at the bottom of the screen.
7.Sometimes when IE is opened, I get an error message that says there is a problem with iexplore.exe or that it isn't responding.
8. I can't access Internet Options in the Control Panel, it won't let me in.When I click on "Internet Options" it just clicks back to the Control Panel.
9.Any application involved with IE does not show up on the Task Manager.

I have Verizon Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee installed on this computer and all seems fine when checking for viruses and threats. I've run full scans and it says there's no viruses or problems. The firewall is active.

I have Windows XP Professional; Version 2002; Service Pack 3; IntelPentium III Processor; 996 MHz, 512 MB of Ram

Please help. I do have an XP cd, but I was hoping that would be the last resort. Is there any other way than the cd? If I do have to use the cd, will it change everything else that I have on my computer, for example, would it remove programs, and things like my emails, favorites, bookmarks, etc.?
If using the cd, would it be possible to reinstall just my Internet Explore without changing anything else, Is there some code or command that can be used to reinstall it?
I hope someone will be able to help me with this problem, I've tried to be as detailed as I can to explain my problem.
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:50 AM

If you installed IE8, uninstall then reinstall. See if that helps.

For the missing toolbars, which you may have to set up to show after reinstalling IE8:

1) Press the F 10 key. When the menu bar appears, RIGHT click in a empty spot next to the last thing listed. Click Menu bar to lock it in place.

2) Next click Command Bar for the bottom bar with Tools on it.

3) If you have the Command Bar, click Tools, choose Toolbars and then click Menu Bar.

OR right click in an empty space at the top, choose Menu Bar.

If you have no empty space, point your cursor to a thin sliver underneath the address bar and right click.
If you use IE9, the space between the end of the address bar and home icon will work. In the screenshot the arrow is pointing to the thin sliver below the address bar, this is where you will need to right click.

Posted Image

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 June 2011 - 08:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users