Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is The Better Fan Setup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 megalo

megalo

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

In my pc i have 2 fans, one 80mm on the side and one 120mm in the back. Im just wondering if switching the back one to 2 80mm fans would be better than having a single 120mm fan and if it would also be better to have 2 80mm fans in the front instead of having a single 120 mm fan. What kind of noise would this create and would it actually lower my pc's temperature. btw im not too concerned about noise, im just wondering if i would be making my pc needlessly loud. Thanks for all the help you guys have given me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:39 PM

80mm fans make more noise and actually a 120mm will move more air than a pair of 80s.
Posted Image

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:09 AM

Are the fans Intake, or Exhaust?
Are they at the top of the case, or at the bottom?

Intake fans should be mounted low (bottom - cool air), and Exhaust fans should be mounted high (top-hot air), and located on opposite sides of the case from each other.

If using different sized fans, the Exhaust fans should move more air than the Intakes fans.
Using larger Intake fans will be create positive pressure in the case, which will not move hot air out of the case, but instead, recirculate it around inside the case.

Using larger Exhaust fans will create a negative pressure in the case, which will draw out the hot air, while drawing in cool air.

Edited by tg1911, 10 January 2006 - 09:11 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

heres what i did and now have: I have one exhaust fan in the back thats 120 mm and its mounted higher up. I have two intake fans, one is in the middle of the side and thats an 80 mm and one thats in the bottom front and thats a 120 mm fan. All of the fans are from aspire and i bought them from newegg. So currently i have more intake than i have exhaust but the bottom front fan has a lot of obstructions in its way such as a ton of wires inside the case and it is blocked in the front by the front panel that has no holes in it. is this an okay set-up? Will hot air just be circulated around the case? Thanks for the help.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:08 AM

The best fan set up is to have equally strong and unobstructed fans at the front (lower) and the back (higher) to allow air to flow through the case. The intake fan should also have some sort of filtre, especially if you have animals or more than the average amount of dust.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:02 PM

Hey, a couple filters would be nice. Do you know where i can get any? I already checked newegg and didn't find anything.

#7 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:32 PM

Can you also tell me which kind of filter is better aluminum mesh filters, Anodized aluminum filters, or steel mesh filters? thanks

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:30 PM

HEPA filters are best (IMO).
Next best is foam
After that comes the metal stuff.

But, the best indicator is the size particle that they're rated to filter. The smaller the particle the better the filtration.

BUT, then you have to change/clean them more often (they get dirtier quicker) - so it ends up being a balancing act on your part.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users