Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Wont Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:33 PM

Ok, I finally got my computer ive been working on for almost a year together, and I put it on a monitor and stuff and it wont boot. It shows the bios screen, but freezes there. So I know the processor, memory and motherboard are good. If you press ctrl-alt-del to reset it, it will do the same thing, but say "searching for IDE drives" and stop there. You can still use the keyboard, but it wont let you go anywhere onscreen. All the fans, etc inside work.

The specs are:

Windows XP Home SP2

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (not OC'ed)

EPOX 8KMM3I Motherboard

Micron 512 mb 266 DDR Ram (one stick, not OC'ed)

40 GB Western Digital HDD

32mb Intel Unichrome Graphics (onboard)

Floppy Drive

450w Kingwin Power Supply

***I am planning on putting a DVD+/-RW, DVD/CDRW, and a Zip drive in soon (so there's no CDROMs in it right now) , and from past experience i have noticed that the bios screen loads the cdroms first, so the bios might be looking for whats not there? Also, the floppy light stays on and wont go off.

Any help will be appreciated! -Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:32 PM

Well i did some playing around with it, and since the HDD wasnt making any activity, the floppy light stayed on the whole time, and it froze when it searched for the IDE drives, i unplugged the cables and it booted this time and let me into the bios setup etc. I also tried diff. cables same thing only work if hdd not plugged in.

#3 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:13 PM

Then it looks like you have a bad hard drive.
Posted Image

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:30 AM

Or you have two IDE devices set to Master or Slave on the same IDE chain.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users