Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 1402

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swil933

swil933

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

I am trying to install Office 2003 Professional on my computer. I previously had a Office 2003 Student/Teacher Version that I uninstalled, but I keep getting the same message. I have gone in and make sure both myself and the administrator (which is me) have permission. I have listed the error message below.

Error 1402. Setup cannot open the registry key. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows|Currentversion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS. Verify that you have sufficient permission to access the registry or contact your IT department.

Any help on how the easiest way to resolve this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Shona

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wiczjr

wiczjr

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

Copy and paste the following text into notepad:

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

save file as reset.cmd (when you save the file in notepad, at the bottom make sure in the 'save as type' it says 'all files' and not 'text documents'.

double click the file.

Edit: sorry I forgot, you have to install subinacl.msi from the windows resource kit.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=23510

Edited by wiczjr, 30 June 2011 - 04:23 PM.

Both faith and fear may sail into your harbour, but only allow faith to drop anchor.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

Even though this is a standard registry edit to reset permissions in XP, any recommendations involving registry edits should always...include backing up the registry as the first step.

An excellent tool for backing up the registry is ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html .

Louis

#4 wiczjr

wiczjr

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

Even though this is a standard registry edit to reset permissions in XP, any recommendations involving registry edits should always...include backing up the registry as the first step.

An excellent tool for backing up the registry is ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html .

Louis

Yep, it's a good thing to have system restore and back up the registry just in case (even though the laws of physics don't allow this fix to break a computer, not to say that It can't happen in the instance of a power outage during the modifications).

The best way to back up a registry is already included in windows: regedit > file > export

Edited by wiczjr, 01 July 2011 - 09:06 AM.

Both faith and fear may sail into your harbour, but only allow faith to drop anchor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users