Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

un-named items :S (msconfig (startup))

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bugbrain

bugbrain

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

hello

i have recently used the 'Run...' option and put in the command 'msconfig' and went to the start up option to disable some of the programs that start up automatically and as i was looking through i come across 2 items that have no name or command although they both have a location (the same location) 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run' and i'm not sure as to what to do with them (weather to disable them or not or get rid of them completely (if possible)).
could you please help me

Edited by bugbrain, 25 June 2011 - 11:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

Honestly...you should not try to use msconfig as a tool for managing startups. The enzing screens will annoy you and this tool was never intended to be used in that manner.

A far superior tool for such would be AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx , where the typical startup items are listed on the Logon tab. Unwanted itees can be safely disable or removed using Autoruns, with no possible negative consequences.

Any item displaying "File not found" can be safely deleted from the Logon tab.

Louis

#3 bugbrain

bugbrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

ok thank you for the reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users