Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thanks! Had Bad Browser Hijacker

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Corinne1

Corinne1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 21 May 2004 - 02:06 PM

:thumbsup: Just want to say thanks a million....I had a browser hijacker that Spybot could not even see. Your tutorials lead me to adAware....an EXCELLENT product, don't let the unassuming name fool you! AdAware rooted out the problem( Coolsearch) and quickly eradicated it! You people are wonderful...thanks again....I am making my donation now with pleasure!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 22 May 2004 - 12:16 AM

Hi Corinne1,
Thanks for the kudos and the donation :flowers: :thumbsup:

I'm pleased to hear that AdAware helped you. If you had it remove Coolwebsearch, then it would probably be a good idea to run CWShredder also and then post a HijackThis log. There are usually remnants left behind when you remove these items with AdAware and Spybot and HijackThis will basically clean up the registry. You might also find some threats you didn't even know you had.

Download CWShredder from here:
Direct Download of CWShredder

After you download the program, unzip it into a directory (folder). Double click on CWShredder.exe then click on the "Check for Update" button, and if it finds a new version it will download it. Now close it & boot into Safe Mode to run it.

Please view this tutorial for details: How to remove CoolWebSearch with CoolWeb Shredder

Download HijackThis.
Unzip it into its own folder. It is important that HT not be run from your desktop or a temp folder, so it is recommended that the folder be in your root directory. How to do that is in THESE INSTRUCTIONS. Open HijackThis and click scan. The scan button will change into a "Save Log" button. Click that & save the log somewhere convenient like My Documents. Then copy the entire contents of the log and paste it into your next reply.

BTW, Spybot is a good product also. It's had some problems of late but most of that has been corrected in the new version 1.3. See this thread. We recommend both of these (Spybot & AdAware) tools be used in tandem. Not only will one catch what the other misses but their method of removal is different. So you may remove different elements of the same threat by using both.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users