Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I schedule my computer to shutdown, restart and log into a user account automatically?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wang Yuan Ji

Wang Yuan Ji

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

I'm trying to figure out how to make the computer shutdown, restart then log into Windows automatically daily. I think I figured out how to make the computer shutdown then restart automatically:

Start > Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks > Add Scheduled Task

I created the following task:

Name: AutoRestart

Run: C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -f -t xx (where "-r" shutdowns and restarts the computer; "-f" forces running applications closed; "-t xx" delays the shutdown for xx seconds I think)

- I assume the purpose of "-f xx" is to delay the shutdown to give the computer a chance to close running applications

Start In: C:\WINDOWS\system32

-

I'm not sure how to make the computer automatically log into a user account of my choice though. Perhaps, the program, TweakUI can perform the automatic login but CNET doesn't recommend it to beginners so I'd like to stay away from the program.

Edited by Wang Yuan Ji, 25 June 2011 - 08:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wang Yuan Ji

Wang Yuan Ji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

I didn't see any point in starting a new topic, so instead, I figured I'd post this here:

-

Is it okay to disable the following entries in autoruns?

-

* HKLM\Software\Classes\*\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers

Yahoo! Mail Yahoo! Mail (Verified) Yahoo! Inc. c:\program files\yahoo!\common\ymmapi.dll

* HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects
&Yahoo! Toolbar Helper Yahoo! Toolbar (Verified) Yahoo! Inc. c:\program files\yahoo!\companion\installs\cpn6\yt.dll

SingleInstance Class Yahoo! Single Instance for Mail (Verified) Yahoo! Inc. c:\program files\yahoo!\companion\installs\cpn6\ytsingleinstance.dll

Yahoo! IE Services Button Yahoo! IE Services (Verified) Yahoo! Inc. c:\program files\yahoo!\common\yiesrvc.dll

* HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\UrlSearchHooks

Yahoo! Toolbar Yahoo! Toolbar (Verified) Yahoo! Inc. c:\program files\yahoo!\companion\installs\cpn6\yt.dll

* HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

Yahoo! Toolbar Yahoo! Toolbar (Verified) Yahoo! Inc. c:\program files\yahoo!\companion\installs\cpn6\yt.dll

* Task Scheduler

AppleSoftwareUpdate.job Apple Software Update (Verified) Apple Inc. c:\program files\apple software update\softwareupdate.exe

* HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

Apple Mobile Device Provides the interface to Apple mobile devices. (Verified) Apple Inc. c:\program files\common files\apple\mobile device support\applemobiledeviceservice.exe

YahooAUService Keeps your favorite Yahoo! software up-to-date with the latest features, tools, and enhancements. (Verified) Yahoo! Inc. c:\program files\yahoo!\softwareupdate\yahooauservice.exe

Uim_IM Image Mounter (Verified) Paragon Software GmbH c:\windows\system32\drivers\uim_im.sys (I don't know what this could belong to other then Paragon Backup & Recovery (Advanced) Free and I deleted that)

-

Notes:

The only Apple software I have installed is QuickTime Player (which I don't use), IIRC. I uninstalled iTunes.

Edited by Wang Yuan Ji, 25 June 2011 - 10:59 PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

Hi -
From the list of Autoruns items you have given, it seems that you (or another user) has once had Yahoo mail installed.
If you no longer use this, or any related Yahoo programs, most of these can be removed via Add / Remove Programs, in your Control Panel safely.

Only use Autoruns to remove items that you are very sure of, as there are minor items there that should remain.
->> HKLM\Software\Classes\*\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers <<- See below.
->> HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services <<- This is playing with registry entrys that usually should stay.
-->> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar <<- I would always leave this in, as Internet Explorer items can be hidden and should not deleted.
->> Uim_IM Image Mounter (Verified) Paragon Software <<- This is a program that has been used to make a backup for the system (but can be removed if not used).

If you read Autoruns items then you may note they have their own forum also.
I cannot help with the first post, maybe the programming area of the forum is better for that.

Thank You -

EDIT -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum26.html
A link for the Programming section of the forum here -

Edited by noknojon, 26 June 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#4 Wang Yuan Ji

Wang Yuan Ji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

Oh, okay. I wasn't sure exactly what those entries' purposes were. I'll make another topic later when I'm ready to uninstall things.

Edited by Wang Yuan Ji, 26 June 2011 - 08:17 PM.

#5 Wang Yuan Ji

Wang Yuan Ji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:44 PM

*** TOPIC MOVED *** *** THIS TOPIC CAN BE LOCKED ***

I moved this topic to the Programming Forum as suggested because it hasn't received any attention here. If you would like to help me, please post in the new topic.

Edited by Wang Yuan Ji, 26 June 2011 - 08:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users