Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Other devices yellow question mark.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jericho380

jericho380

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

Hello all ! Got a small glitch which I am hoping you can help me out with. I just reinstalled windows xp on a Dell Latitude D610 and did all the Microsoft updates to service pack 3 and about 72 other Microsoft updates. Also went to the Dell drivers update website and scanned my machine thru there for drivers and downloaded and installed their recommendations.Now when I go to "device manager", in other devices it lists 2 unknowns, Network controller and PCI simple communications controller. Two big question marks with a"!" in the middle. I uninstalled and tried reinstalling them, but it says it cannot find the file on those two. Laptop still works very good, but I am wondering if I need those 2 devices and if I do, where do I get them. Thanks in advance. :)
Funny thing about "The Blues", You can listen to them when your Happy, Sad, Angry, or just plain Blah. It's a non discriminating mood music. :) HP Pavilion a1600n Windows XP media edition 2 gigs ram 1TB with external hard drive. Or depends on which computer I plug in that day....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

The PCI Simple Communcations device is probably the dial-up modem...I would just disable the modem in the BIOS, unless I was on dialup.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd610/en/ug_en/drivers.htm#wp1052327

Driver Support Webpage

You need to pick the correct applicable driver for networking...and install same. Look at your system documentation to see which is applicable to the system you have.

Louis

#3 jericho380

jericho380
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

Thank-you for the quick reply, and your solutions! I will check those out and let you know how that worked. I retrieved this laptop from a recycle bin at work, which i am always digging in for recycle PC's and laptops which I then rebuild and give to charitable organizations or just underprivileged kids that would like a computer/laptop but cant afford one. Also, I like the challenge. The nice thing about that bin?...I have many Dell and HP installation disks and driver disks unopened which I use for re-installing on those laptops and pc's as they are all Dells and HP's and the xp program on them are all password protected by the company that is getting rid of them. Thanks again and I will let you know how it turns out. :)
Funny thing about "The Blues", You can listen to them when your Happy, Sad, Angry, or just plain Blah. It's a non discriminating mood music. :) HP Pavilion a1600n Windows XP media edition 2 gigs ram 1TB with external hard drive. Or depends on which computer I plug in that day....

#4 jericho380

jericho380
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

That worked beautifully..Thank-you. I really appreciate your help and am willing to help in anyway I can :)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

You are welcome, glad you resolved it...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users