Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

emachine t6520 does not see HDD or CDROM at boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 adaniel

adaniel

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:01 AM

I am trying to recover an emachine t6250 with XP SP3, I think. I was called in after the owner tried to recover from a Windows error; I am not sure exactly what he attempted.

The problem now is that the machine tries to boot from a network device if the HDD is hooked up. The BIOS does not recognize either of the two CD drives or the HDD. There is a second hard drive in the machine that was not hooked up when I got it. If I move the IDE cable to it, it will boot from the CD, but not from that disk. With that HDD plugged in, the BIOS sees all the devices (except the original HDD, which is unplugged).

I tried making the master HDD a slave and the second drive the master, but it has some operating system other than XP and will not boot. If I try to install XP on it, it complains about the other OS. If the original HDD is plugged in, the system skips the boot from CD. I disabled the network boot, now it just goes to the NONSYSTEM DISK error

I was going to just reload XP, either repair or full, but I cannot boot the XP CD if the original drive is hooked up. How can I get it to boot the CD and see the HDD.

Thank you in advance for any help.

adaniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:32 AM

First thing I'd do is change the battery on the mobo. Then go into bios and reset the boot order so the cd drive is first and the hd is second. Those symptoms are often caused by a dead battery. If that's not the case, at leas you can rule it out.

#3 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for your reply. I think I can rule out the battery because it tries to boot from the second disk if it is the only one hooked up, and the date and time are maintained without power. The CDROM is set as the first boot device; actually, the DVDRW - there are both in the system. The wierd thing is, with the original disk hooked up, if I do F10 to get to the boot menu, network is the only option. If the second disk is hooked up and the original not, it will automatically boot try to boot the CD and all devices show in the boot menu. It is like the original disk be so corrupted that it messes up the whole IDE interface. With the situation as it is, I cannot even format and reintall XP.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

It is like the original disk be so corrupted that it messes up the whole IDE interface.

Absolutely possible. Bad/shorted circuitboard on the drive can cause all kinds of problems.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

to true, I've seen hard drives get into a funny state where they are recognized by the bios but the computer will not boot from anything with them attached.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:49 PM

This hard drive is not even recognized by the bios. With it attached, no hard drives, nor the CD, nor the DVDRW show up in the BIOS. As I said, it's like it takes out the whole IDE interface. Thanks, all, for the responses. I think I am going to try it as a slave in another machine and see if I can salvage any data at all.

Is it possible that the user aborted an XP reload and did this? If so, any ideas?

adaniel

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:00 PM

An aborted reload would not keep the bios from detecting the hard drive. Be prepared for a dead drive. Do you even hear it spinning?

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users