Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Self-induced Hardware Error...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 King ICBM

King ICBM

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:55 PM

You know how when you turn on your computer, you can press the "Del" button to access the panel for settings?
Well I started up my other computer and pressed delete, then I went into the "Frequency and Voltage control, I changed my CPU and DRAM Frequency from 166 MHz to 254 MHz.

Now I can't turn on my computer anymore... I don't mean the power doesn't turn on or anything, it does all the lights like up and stuff, but my moniter doesn't show anything and my keyboard and mouse doesn't light up neither. I checked all the plugs and they are plugged in, so the problem is because of the CPU frequency...

I can't change the frequency back to 166 because I need to turn on my computer to access the control panel, so is there any way to externally set the frequency or something?

I mean is there anyway out of this?

BTW: I didn't do this to make my cpu speed higher or anything. I sorta was curious to see what that control did, and I changed it... :thumbsup:

Edited by King ICBM, 09 January 2006 - 07:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:03 AM

Provided you haven't destroyed anything with you overclock, you can return the settings to default by clearing cmos. It involves unplugging the machine, removing the motherboard battery and moving the pin. You should find the details of how to do this in your motherboard manual.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 King ICBM

King ICBM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

removing the motherboard battery and moving the pin

Motherboard battery?

What do you mean by moving the pin?

EDIT: Oh I see, remove the CMOS battery to reset the settings. I hope it works...

Also, how can I tell if everything is destroyed?

Arrrrrrg it still doesn't work... I pulled the battery out and waited a few minutes, and put it back in. It still doesn't start up...

Edited by King ICBM, 10 January 2006 - 06:57 PM.

#4 King ICBM

King ICBM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:38 PM

Nope, still doesn't work...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users