Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Abbyy Fine Reader 6.0 Sprint

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cherylisfun

cherylisfun

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:34 PM

Do i use ABBYY Fine Reader 6.0 Sprint?
Im not sure what it is, maybe something like Adobe Reader?
My question....can I get rid of it? It is very large n' I was thinking I could get rid of it
if it wasn't important.
Does anyone know anything about it?
ThankYou
-Cheryl

Edited by hamluis, 28 August 2017 - 01:15 PM.
Moved from XP to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:02 PM

Info HERE.

Looks to me like it is a good program. I could use it!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 cherylisfun

cherylisfun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:26 PM

So i am guessing i can use this as a photo shop type deal...right?
I love taking pictures of my lil daughter n' messing with them in photo shop.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:30 AM

I don't have the program. But usually you take a scan of a document and that's it! More or less you now have a photo of your document. But my understanding of what your program does is: You can take pdf files and scanned documents and then modify them. So, I can see where it would be a nice program to have.

Whether or not you delete this program from your system is completely up to you as this program is not needed for Windows to run correctly.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 10 January 2006 - 08:33 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 cherylisfun

cherylisfun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:55 PM

I read the page on it n' decided to mess with it a bit.

Thank You very much.

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:39 AM

Hi, Cherylisfun,

I have that application on my computer.
It came bundled with a Lexmark 3-in-one.

I also wasn't to sure about the size of it versus the benefit.
Basically, it is an OCR ... Optical Character Reader.

I tested it using grocery store receipts.
Scanned 'em and the file, which is not an image file like a Photoshop .png or .jpg, was editable.
I think I had it open in .rtf (Wordpad ... rich text format) 'cause I used boldface & colored type.

I found, after several hours of playing with it, that I had a functional set of techniques worked out
that made it possible to have a easy to read, categorical shopping list complete with current prices.
I was then becoming more selective about how I fed the cashier the groceries in the cart,
to save copy/pasting those receipts.

I tested it on newspaper articles.
I felt like an editor again, chopping up the news and copy/pasting it I saw fit.

It takes some getting used to, some errors are made by it that simply demand correction manually.
Strange new words appear in the middle of sentences,
not bad ... probably 5% ... but there none the less.

The latest copyright date on version 5 is 2001.
It was old software when I got it.
Naturally the folks at ABBYY want to sell me an upgrade, I recall some info provided,
but no nag screens popup at least.

Generally speaking, if you have a scanner, having an OCR program is better than having none. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 Nisnurse

Nisnurse

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:25 PM

You would need this if you want to scan a document and convert it to where you can edit it meaning write on it. Example: If you have a hard copy that you want to copy to your computer and write of the document then you would need the fine reader to do it. There are lesser versions like the 4.0, 2.5. I hope I was helpful.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:05 AM

Yeah, OCR's are often included with scanners so that you can convert a picture of a page to text. Sometimes they work well, other times they're very time-consuming. But they can be quite handy.

#9 Nisnurse

Nisnurse

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:02 PM

Herk, the time consumin is so true. I have a question that maybe you can answer. I have a time sheet that has lines & boxes on it however when I scan with OCR the line & boxes do not come through is there something I can do to make the lines & boxes shiw up?

Thanks Nisnurse

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:11 PM

is there something I can do to make the lines & boxes shiw up?

I doubt it. The OCR is there to figure out the text. Is it something that you could do by making tables in a word processor? These programs are real handy, but not that handy. There are a lot of expensive OCR formtools that might do the job, but they're about $200.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:00 PM

There may be a forms reader utility combined with the ocr application or in a separate ap installed when you installed your scanner.
If it isn't installed look in the cd that came with the scanner for additional programs. It might have it.

That might enable you to duplicate the form but change the information on it.

#12 davidcoxmex

davidcoxmex

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

Mod Edit:  Topic dates to 2006...I suggest that you respond to more current topics where the OP can possibly be assisted by the comments you make - Hamluis.

I don't think you guys know what it is. It is an OCR reader program and a pretty good one at that. It comes bundled with printers usually, but you can purchase it commercially off of their website Abbyy.com I think.

The way it works is that see some text on the screen so you click it (icon is a red square with an arrow pointing up) in the task bar. 

Next, you are presented with its small screen. From there you choose the type of OCR read, and language and then go. 

It disappears and you can click and size a square anywhere on the visible screen (you cannot scroll at this point) and it will OCR that part of the screen and put it where you indicated (clipboard or a file etc). 

Ever want to clip a list of files in some program that won't let you do it? This program will do it.

I got it with a printer that was like 3 printers back for me. I wish I had access to the original setup disk. I am moving to another computer and I would like the freeware version of the program. 

If you want an OCR program, it is tremendous. I use it with PDF's that are locked and that you cannot copy text out of it, and it will let me do it no problem. You have to do it a lot for 100+ page PDF but it works. I do not use it for capturing images, but that is what I hear it doesn't do well. (With PrintScreen on the keyboard and InfraView, I have no need to use anything else for that). 

It will OCR in various languages, and do right well from my experience. The only trick is if the on-screen text is tiny, it will pick up a lot of errors doing it. Just make the on-screen text larger and those errors go away. Usually a web page or PDF you can enlarge the print and work around it. You want to capture a whole page at a time, so that is where this comes into play. But there are other programs to convert a PDF to text. This is just a work around if you need it. If you want 2-3 pages of a PDF, it will do it. Note that it takes the on-screen image, and like makes its own image from that and then OCRs it. If the on-screen text is text that you can select, it works (but selecting and copying should do the same). But if you want something like out of a PDF out of Archive.org, where the PDF's are all images to begin with, it still works.

David

Edited by hamluis, 28 August 2017 - 01:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users