Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with LAN

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fidocks

Fidocks

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

Hello,
First off, we have 3 computers in the house: My desktop, my dads laptop and another desktop used for email and such.
Recently we replaced the emailing desktop with a mac, and since then neither of our other computers can join/host a lan game. I have tested this with Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, Halo 1, Warcraft 3 and Age of Empires 3. All computers are connected to the the home network, the mac is using a cable and the others are wireless. Both computers are running windows xp pro, and constantly have a connection.

Any help appreciated!

Fidocks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

Hello Fidocks,

We are going to need a little more info here. What are you using to connect the computers ? I'm assuming a wireless router of some kind, but we need a little more specifics as to model. What kind of Internet access do you have ? Can all three computers reach the Internet ? Adding a Mac to the mix should not have affected the other computers at all, so this may take a little time to chase down. The most suspect point for something to have changed is the router. Were any changes made there when the new computer was added ?

#3 Fidocks

Fidocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:41 PM

Sorry for not being more specific,
We're using a wireless router, Netcomm NB6Plus4W ASDL2+, the laptop has built in wireless and my desktop is using a Netcomm wireless USB stick, both computers can reach the internet whilst we try to game and the signal strength never falls below normal. The router hasn't been changed at all. I've recently tried using Hamachi to connect both computers but so far no joy.

#4 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:27 PM

So with the setup you describe you cannot host a LAN game on one PC and join that game from the other ? Or are you trying to host or join a remote game ? Locally there should be nothing to prevent a connection except the two machines themselves, so checking to make sure they are in the same workgroup and that any firewalls are disabled should get you connected. I can not think of any way that adding a Mac to your network could affect a local connection between two PC's, so the most likely suspect is a recent update or install on one of the machines, with anti-virus/firewall being the most likely of those. Can you file share between the two PC's ? Are there any entries in the Application log of wither system after you try to set up a connection ? (Control Panels -> Administrative Tools->Event Viewer->Application Log)

#5 Fidocks

Fidocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:08 AM

Thanks for the help, but i think i've found a solution.
I use the desktop to create an ad-hoc network, then connect the laptop to it, all LAN games are now showing up.
Still don't understand why it stopped working in the first place....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users