Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've got a roving laptop that needs access to a domain periodically

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

Hello all,
It's just me again as usual. I have an interesting situation on my hands, I think? I currently have a HP DL 380 G4 server here at my college which I am doing training on as well as using it as a Sharepoint 2010 server to evaluate whether that product is good for the college's productivity. What I need to know is that I've made the server a domain controler so that I have my own domain to test out these configurations on, and I'd like to join my laptop to the domain in order to be able to replicate the normal environment as much as possible. The possible problem here is that my laptop actually belongs to me, so therefore, it often roves from network to network, whether that be the Gordon College network when I need to access stuff there such as my training materials, my home network when I return home, or the direct connection to Comcast I have for the domain and Sharepoint server. What can I do to prevent the possibility of coming off the network with the domain and then risking the accidental inability to log back into my local account on my laptop that exists for non-domain networks? Is it even possible to have a laptop joined to a domain that roves between networks? Thanks. And by the way, if any of you folks know how to set roaming profiles in windows server 2008 R2, that'd be great, because that's the OS I run on this DL 380 server.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:01 PM

Hey Chromebuster,

First question is your Laptop already joined to a domain?? If so then you won't be able to join it to your TestEnv without disjoining it from whatever domain it is currently joined to. However If your laptop is Windows 7 or Windows Vista then you wont need to disjoin it from anything. As you are able to login to different domain accounts on different domains from your laptop. (I think you can do this in XP as well but just dont quote me on it)

For example you have three domains (Home.local, Work.local, Test.env) (we also assume you're running windows 7)
Your laptop is joined to Home.local but you're at work today and you want to login to your domain account on Work.local all you need to do is at the welcome screen select switch user and type one of the two below in the username field:

Work(.local)\Chromebuster OR Chromebuster@Work(.local)

The .local isn't required but you can use it if you wish.

So now you want to login to your domain account on the Test.env domain well the same procedure as above applies! :)

If you have any problems or this isn't what you're looking for then let me know and I'll try my best to help out.

BT
-BrendanT

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:07 PM

Thanks! I'd assume it applies to workgroup environments as well? I ask because both my home and my lakehouse environments are workgroup-based. Just my work has a domain. And that's cool too that I can join to both domains at work, both the main Gordon.edu and then accesscop.com (my testing environment).

#4 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:11 PM

Chrombuster,

If there are workgroup enironments that's great because you dont need to worry about anything just login to your local account. At the switch user screen use ".\Chromebuster" this will log you into your local account.

You can't technically JOIN two domains atleast not to my knowledge but you can be joined to one domain and still login to many different domains using the same switch user technique i've outlined in my previous post. I would suggest being joined to your work domain and then just logging into the test domain.

If you want to give it a try and then get back to me if you have any issues and we can try to resolve them.

BT
-BrendanT

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:37 PM

Oh shoot. This will be interesting then because I've got two separate domains. There's the main Gordon.edu domain, and then there's accesscop.com. They're not even on the same network. One is wired in connection, and the other one's wireless. One goes through the main Gordon network, and the other goes straight through Comcast.

#6 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:29 PM

You will still be able to connect to both networks on the seperate domains. You just need to login to an account that is on the domain you are trying to access. That's what you want isnt it or do you want to be able to login to ONE account and have that be able to access data on both domains? :S

BT
-BrendanT

#7 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

No. All I need to do is be able to access my workgroup and my domain through the different accounts. My workgroup's one of them, and then the domain is another one.

#8 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

And you will be able to do that with the method i have told you about above. Do you understand how to do that?

BT
-BrendanT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users