Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CI.dll File Virus?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 l_Crawler_l

l_Crawler_l

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:47 PM

Hi! Windows 7 last night was BEGGING me to turn off and update, but I postponed it for awhile because I was doing some work. Luckily, I finished my work and saved it before my computer turned its self off automatically. I thought 'Oh well!' and proceeded to turn it back on. I'm currently using my friends laptop to type this. The exact black screen with white text reads so:

'Windows Boot Manager'
'Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:'
'1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.'
'2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
'3. Click "Repair your computer."

(Note: My computer came pre-installed with Windows 7, so I do not have an instillation disk.)

'If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.'

'File: CI.dll'
'Status: 0xc0000428'
'Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.'

That's what it says on the first screen when I start it up. At the very bottom, it says:

'ENTER=Continue'
'ESC=Exit'

Pressing enter gives me either the 'Windows Memory Diagnostic', which doesn't do anything to my computer. Or, I can press Windows 7 under 'Choose an operating system to start.'

Pressing Enter, it lets me start the computer with:
'Safe Mode'
'Safe Mode with Networking'
'Safe Mode with Command Prompt'
'Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)'
'Start Windows Normally'

None of these options work. If I try to use any of them, it brings me straight back to the 'Windows Boot Manager' screen.

Please help me, my computer is an 'Acer Aspire 5542G-5281 Laptop'.
Im going to start saving up for a desktop, but that may be QUITE awhile, haha.
If anyone could give me a step by step process, that would be great.
Thanks to anyone who could help, I've only had the computer for a year, and its in considerably good condition. I'm hoping on keeping it longer!

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2011 - 11:23 AM.
Removed poll format.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bate

bate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:59 PM

Having the same problem. 1/2 fixed Heres what I did. Just so you dont feel completly hopeless..

When you get to the screen where it says select operating system windows 7 press F8
It will give you more options. Go down to 'disable driver enforcement' or something like that.
You can at least get back on your computer this way, but you have to select that everytime you start up.
I'm trying to figure out how to fix this or permanently disable it. or even what caused it! no clue!

#3 mango_music

mango_music

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:06 AM

Hi! I have more or less the same problem. When searching the internet for it I found out that this is a virus. Go to ESET online scanner and check your computer. When I did it found a trojan! But the problem is not yet solved...

#4 Starzy

Starzy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

Hey people, I had this problem also and this is how i fixed it.. I first of all i did what Bate advised just to get into the desktop..
Then I ran MSCONFIG from the run menu and then disabled all start up programs.. Then i downloaded this Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller app
from this site.. I installed the program and ran it and it seemed to find what was wrong (which i still don't know what) and then it adivsed me click repair and to restart the laptop.. It has been loading up no problems ever since.. I hope this helps as I made this account just to post this for yous lol.

Good Luck :-)

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

Or
AVIRA RESCUE CD
Try creating this disk and boot off of it. You will need another computer to make this disk on.
Avira AntiVir Rescue System
Tutorial for Avira Rescue CD
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users