Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer running VERY slow

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ABNINF

ABNINF

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

I've been helping a friend of mine with his wife's computer. It wasn't acting correctly so I d/l'ed, installed and ran; MBAM and SAS. Both found infections and both said they fixed the infections.

The machine still didn't seem to be running correctly so I posted in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware and Malware Removal Logs forum of this site;

Click to view my thread there

Since that thread the machine has gotten slower and slower until I can no longer really use it to even post on the site. I'm on a different machine now. It won't even load the virus scanner, MSE when the machine boots up!

It was running much better before the help I received. I can't remember if it started slowing down before the first OTL custom scan/fix I was asked to do or if it was after running CF. I think at some point a restore point must have been made but to be honest I don't remember and I can't remember how to get to the restore points .... on that machine it would probably take me 15 minutes to even get to it.

The machine is a Sony Vaio. It is running XP SP3. The first time I ran MBAM it found 17 threats and I think 9 threats on SAS not counting the 600 tracking cookies.

I can't really think of anything else to say. If someone could provide a little help I would be appreciative.

Thanks!
KC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

What specific model Vaio?

How much RAM installed?

How much free space on C? How large is C:?

Have you checked Event Viewer errors (not warnings, not info items) for possible clues as to what may considered items needing attention?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Have you checked for possible overheating?

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

How to Avoid Overheating Hardware Secrets - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

FWIW: Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Is the entire system slower...or just when accessing the Internet?

Louis

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

You may have some hardware issue...

See, if the computer is also slow in Safe Mode/Safe Mode with Networking.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#4 ABNINF

ABNINF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

What specific model Vaio?

PCG - 7M1L

How much RAM installed?

1 Gig

How much free space on C? How large is C:?

80 Gig HD with 47 Gig Free

Have you checked Event Viewer errors (not warnings, not info items) for possible clues as to what may considered items needing attention?

No because it didn't start slowing down until after this post. after I did as requested the machine slowed down a little then continued to slow down dramatically.

Is the entire system slower...or just when accessing the Internet?

The entire machine is slower. After I ran the OTL script posted above then ran CF it started slowing down. The audio started getting garbled on shut down and restart then things stopped loading into the system tray like the audio 'speaker' icon, MSE, etc ...

Now it takes about 4 minutes for the XP splash screen to go away then you get almost a minute of a black screen before it takes you to the log in screen. Once you click on the log in it takes another 4 - 5 minutes before whatever it's loading to load.

I deleted MSE then reloaded it. I think something either got switched wrongly or something messed up while running OTL or CF. That's just me though and I ain't nobody.

KC

#5 ABNINF

ABNINF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

You may have some hardware issue...

See, if the computer is also slow in Safe Mode/Safe Mode with Networking.

I haven't checked that yet. SweetTech is 'pondering' something on the original thread. I posted this in here at his request before the pondering started.

The only thing I've done at this point is to remove and reinstall MSE to see if something got hung up there. I pulled up task manager after ST requested I post in here and I saw MSE using HUGE amounts of resources so I killed it, removed it then reinstalled it. That seems to have helped some but not much.

KC

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

Finish one topic first then.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#7 ABNINF

ABNINF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

Finish one topic first then.

Will do. Thanks!

KC

0 user(s) are reading this topic