Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Follow up to: "strange behaviors when computer running several hours"

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ATGUNWAT

ATGUNWAT

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

Follow up to: "strange behaviors when computer running several hours" by: cafejose

(maybe we need a "General Issues" forum or even a "Where does this belong" forum) B)

This is not a problem specific to windows seven and if my guess is right, not an OS, or even a software problem at all, but could become an OS issue if hard drive corruption occurs.

It would more accurately be described as a storage media\medium issue, whether it be volatile or non-volatile storage media\medium.

(reminds me of that song about roots and fruits) :lmao:

I posted it here because the user who originally posted it, and myself, are both running windows Seven OS. (on our hardware)

Originally Posted Text in Black: (My follow up below that)

(Bleepingcomputer has no proper forum for this question. Someone may need to move posting and responses.)

Computer which have been running, or ON for several hours have made strange behaviors. Maybe someone knows about these things and can tell why.

An old desktop computer was kept on for about 12 hours and suddenly, all the program icons looked wrong; they were the wrong icons for the programs, or several icons turned into all one kind.

Not so old laptop computer was kept on for a few hours, and then allowed to "sleep" overnight (meaning still turned on but in lower power state). When this computer was woken several hours later, a Cyberlink application/program was open and took over the whole screen; nobody ever intentionally opened this Cyberlink program, so it's running was a complete mystery. (Closing this program was no trouble).

A fairly new tower/desktop computer, after being ON for about 2 days, suddenly started playing a radio discussion broadcast. No applications were running based on inspecting listings in Ctrl+Alt+Del.

In all of the described three cases listed above, RESTARTING the computer stopped the problem. What makes these strange behaviors, and what does restarting do to stop those or bring them back to normal?

One possibility is... (my qualifier)

It could be many things, but it is very likely bad memory.

If you are getting errors in memory, the longer the machine was on, the more the errors would accumulate. (and the more bizarre the behavior would get) Rebooting makes it better because RAM is volatile memory and therefore does not store data when there is no power applied. When you restarted the computer any data in memory (and errors \ corrupted data) would be gone, and the processor would then load your files from the hard drive (which for now, we hope, doesn't contain any errors or data corruption) back into the RAM modules, and the process would begin again.

You should run "chkdsk c: /r /v" from an elevated command prompt to fix any hard drive corruption, (if any is present) then if the errors still occur, the problem is probably in one or more of your RAM modules.

All you have to do then is identify the bad RAM module and replace it. If you can't get another RAM module right away, just removing the bad stick will eliminate the errors, but you will probably take a performance hit because you will be running with less RAM.

Leaving the bad stick of RAM in the machine could lead to hard drive corruption.

If (for example) during the "saving your settings" phase of the shutdown/reboot process, the corrupt data in RAM gets written back to the hard drive, overwriting files that were previously without errors, hard drive corruption will occur.

I think this is a likely scenario, based on what you had described in your post.

You should also check your mother board for bulging capacitors.
(aka: "bad caps", which is a known cause of "Windows Senility.")
:lol:

ATGUNWAT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users