Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD not found after combofix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nemo2020

Nemo2020

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

Hi there,
i stupidly adviced a friend to use combofix to wipe some possible malware he had. He ran the software, said "yes" to install recovery console. The program then performed his task and reported a log without rebooting. But then, after the command panel closed, explorer desktop was left with some bug. The friend rebooted the normal way and then BAM! A long wait at the first startup screen (where it says to press esc or tab to enter the setup) then a damn message saying no boot device was detected. From that point, neither of us could find a way to access the hdd. It's loading led is always red, not blinking as when loading something. Did combofix killed the hard drive? We can't even run the recovery console from xp cd, nor install new windows in the hdd because it keeps saying no hard drive is installed.

I really hope somebody can help us since that drive contained LOADS of important data. We managed to run ubuntu from a pendrive and looked for devices, but still hdd was not found (or i guess i didn't make the right things when searching, since i'm new to ubuntu and unix-based os).

Thanks in advance to who will help

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2011 - 01:39 PM.
Moved from XP to AV, Firewall, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:38 PM

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html

Is the hard drive reflected in the BIOS? If not, it may be dead/dying...and the timing of events is just coincidental.

Louis

#3 Nemo2020

Nemo2020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for your reply. I don't really know if it is, cause under boot devices it just says some general "hard disk" with no additional info. Could it be that combofix erased my sata drivers? I tried to manually add them to the xp boot cd with no result

Edited by Nemo2020, 24 June 2011 - 02:01 PM.

#4 Nemo2020

Nemo2020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

Man, hdd is dead, my trusted tech guy told me combofix caused some irreparable error in writing some data somewere. Well, i guess the thread can be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users